Find
Notify
Tools

It doesn't take long for them....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
...to come back and try and re-populate my property. Have not had a coon in the traps for awhile now. This boar made a mistake today.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
If you’ve got suitable habitat with a food source, coon will find it in short order.
Ive had a contract for 13 years with a local farm where I take 100+ coon every year except the one where we had a distemper outbreak.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some years ago I was driving thru Iowa to visit Gordy Gritters (my long range rifle builder at the time). Stopped for gas and saw a pickup next to us - loaded with coon skins.

I said, "That is a hell of a lot of raccoons!"

The guy said, "Yep, and I have the ethanol boom to thank for it - every square inch of Iowa is planted with corn this year."

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Fortunately I do not live in corn country! I do maintain traps year round as coons and possums are always trying to make meals out of my chickens. It has been a lot less trouble to keep these varmints pretty much trapped out.

There has been some wet weather which generally gets them moving, looking for new territory. Tomorrow I re-bait with some mini marshmallows.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote