New
Find
Notify
Tools

owls
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm losing free range mini rex rabbits to owls.Rabbits stay in my yard,which has brush piles,trees ,etc.Rabbits are avoiding feeding out in the open now.Any ideas on prevention

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Just a thought. I used to raise a lot of chickens + had a coop built that had a mesh roof + a Lantana growing that afforded them shade.They started to fly up to eat the leaves,etc.So I threw up a rubber snake on top of the mesh + they would'nt go near it. Don't know how you might incorporate this in your problem, but NO bird likes a snake.Also don't know the size of your yard but a net might be an option.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I 've been looking @ nets too.Also thought about wire strung @ 4 foot intervals going across the yard with cds tied on.I have several human mannequins that could be station around the yard. any body else got any ideas

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
You need some live stock guardian dogs (LGD's). They an be trained to protect rabbits. Mine protect my sheep and poultry. I have Sarplaninac's, a breed from Macedonia. The dogs live with them 24/7.

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Put up some owl decoys like crow hunters use also check with your states Agriculture Extension Agency.

Some outdoor lighting might have an effect also.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Lighting will not deter owls. Been there...

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been working for us for a long time. Add an owl decoy into the mix and we have had good luck.

Is it guaranteed, no, but it is a place to start.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Been working for us for a long time. Add an owl decoy into the mix and we have had good luck.

Is it guaranteed, no, but it is a place to start.

Owls are not above hanging a licking on their perceived buddy. Smiler Done it with other birds, doesn't take them long to figure out what the deal is.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add that we sort of give them the idea that finding a different location might be in their best interest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pen the rabbits.

A couple buddies tried free range rabbits with their free range chickens and ducks. Wait until the fox and coyote figure out the tasty nibblets live there.

Best of luck.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do any of you remember the Tasmanian Devil in the Bugs Bunny cartoons???

Remember the "List of Food Items" the Devil would eat?

Well he ain't got ANYTHING on a Great Horned Owl!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A large owl almost never goes hungry, maybe the most efficient predator in nature.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P'nut rolling beagle clubs have their fields mowed in one or two pass garden tractor paths. Some are a 1000ft long. However they are cut with a right angle every so many feet, sorry but I can't recall the distance to turns. Rabbits can usually escape by running into high stuff and raptors are afraid of the tight turns with high grass/brush. Added bonus of less ticks and an easy way to walk the field. Good luck with your bunnies.

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been gone a while.Owl problem got cleared up.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well if the problem is fixed,so much the better. I was going to suggest,just as a theory,to try a little bit of reverse attraction. I have always used the owl decoys when shooting crows along with calls (They are natural enemies).Perhaps,just perhaps the owls would take to the crow decoys. Don't know + the truth be told,I have no problem killing a crow but I really don't want to kill an owl.I will kill coyotes + other vermin that attack my own animals but somehow I still feel a reverence for the Great Horned Owl.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot , shovel and shut up

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote