Find
Notify
Tools

Issue with DP traps
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Who can assist? I have had coons on occasion get out of DP traps. I'd like to prevent that. Found one got out of a set from last night. I chain these to a tree and use dry cat food for bait.

Just down the trail from this trap I had a sow coon in a live trap. Can't say if it was the same animal but I am assuming the DP trap was a large boar coon. I can't figure out how some of them can get out of these traps?

~Ann

Posts: 19123 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Three issues which can enable a coon to pull out of a DP
1. Too much bait causing a toe catch
2. Weak springs
3. Improper swivels which give a coon additional leverage to pull out

I'll guess that you're using Duke DP's and it's all three issues combined

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are not Duke. I don't remember if they are Bridger or Sleepy Creek. I know one of those companies doesn't make DP (don't remember which) but I bought these all at the same time as some #2 leghold for mink and coon about 11/12 years ago.

Coon looks like it's trapped quite awhile but somehow finds a way to pull off before I get there the next day. I have to use the DP style trap setter to open/set them. They are not easy for my hands to push the bail.

I'm considering going to 220 conibear and learning to do a pail set or build boxes.

~Ann

Posts: 19123 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Sleepy creek DPs are the same design as Duke.

Check regulations in your state as many font allow a 220 to be set on land. Most states have gone to a 5"X5" size limit for body grip traps on land.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what differences are there in other makers DP traps?

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I use the little marshmallows; few in the trap and a few scattered around, and have no trouble at all. Got 3 coon last week. Not sure which brand I have but probably Duke.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not a baiting issue I am having.

Actually had a possum in one today.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually had one to chew his foot off and then the next day caught him in the same trap. I use dry cat food also, then spray a little fish oil on it. If you are having them pull out often I would think your springs are weak. I use very little bait, don't ever cover the trigger. We do it for the turkeys, it really makes a difference.

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Do you have a good swivel on the chain? Are you burying the trap? Can't imagine how a coon could escape on of these traps.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, have a swivel and push the spike into the ground. It looks like the coon uses some leverage and just keeps pulling until it gets out. Happens a couple times a year.

I've caught several more in recent weeks and none have escaped so far.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I had a coon in a DP the other night and when I got to it, it was leaping straight up until calmed him down with a 22. He had slipped the keep all the way to the center of his hand, a couple more leaps and he would have been free. I retired that DP as it was one that had been set for a very long time thru hot and extreme cold temps thru last winter. I think the spring had taken a set.

Posts: 1207 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Had dp’s freeze in the ground=wring off
Too much bait=shallow catch=pull out
Swivel/swivels not functioning=wring off
Trap set to close to tree/structure=leverage=pull out
Nice big catch circle but no critter=Johnny Sneakum

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a recent catch, huge boar coon, that only was caught by his fingers. I don't know if he had slipped by pulling against it to move the catch but he was dead when I got to checking the traps. They seem to pass in any sort of heat quickly.

I've been away visiting family but will set everything today and resume depredation on coons and possums. I have trapped and killed many dozens of each this year and they keep coming.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I use a drag and a light chain 4-5 feet long to attach to the drag. You should also push the trigger latch down so that it is just barely holding so that you get more and larger bone in the trap when it trips.

If you don't have enough give in the drag they can pull off/out. A large coon has plenty of power to manage that, and it may not be a fun time if like some of them they are looking for apiece of you when you show up. I've had a couple that tried to get me and I much prefer to shoot them from fifty feet or so away so that I don't have a pissed off boar coon focused on me.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is probably what is happening, a very big coon pulling out. Sometimes I put some standard legholds around the Dp's or a live trap if there is a animal messing with the traps but not getting caught.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a 220 Conibear in a "coon can" and you won't have that trouble.

KJK

Posts: 675 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought three of them. Need to build some boxes for them. Not sure a 5 gallon bucket will work and have had no luck finding cat litter square pails.

I did dispatch two coons in recent days caught in the DP traps.

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Those Conibears are really something. Helped a friend run his beaver trapline up near Crater Lake some years back and they never missed -- and some of those beavers were huge.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16275 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Pro tip- dollar store grape jelly mixed with a lil anti freeze…Yes the stuff in yer car. Just a dab on top of cheap cat food. You can smear some on tree for added lure. White styrofoam coffee cup is a visual attraction from way off. Just put it over the dp, keeps rain out and lure/bait fresh.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ooo, the styrofoam cup is a good idea. I have also had someone tell me to spray paint the traps white as an additional lure. Anyone had any experience with the white paint?

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not have a clue what a DP trap was. I had a coon get out of my Duke live trap through the little opening for placing the bait. I now use a latch to secure it.

Posts: 3795 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could also set a foothold trap near the DP for when they are trying to get away gives you another chance at securing.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
I did not have a clue what a DP trap was. I had a coon get out of my Duke live trap through the little opening for placing the bait. I now use a latch to secure it.

DP stands for Dog Proof trap.
https://ads.midwayusa.com/prod...T6ZJiYwaAu_8EALw_wcB

Posts: 318 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beware of those 220s if you have dogs or cats roaming the area.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:
Beware of those 220s if you have dogs or cats roaming the area.

There aren't.

~Ann