Find
Notify
Tools

Raccoon Bait
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
I have been catching these all summer. They don't taste good so I have been looking for an alternate use for them. I decided to try my hand at making raccoon bait. I cut them up in chunks, mixed them with molasses and a dash of vanilla extract. This past weekend I tested them out. My mother in law has been having a problem with raccoon's getting in her garage. I baited a trap with the mix and sure enough, I got one the next morning!

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any left over part of a chicken, cooked or raw, nails them here in N. Alabama.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used canned sardines, just punched holes with an ice pick and dribbled some of the oil on top. Works on coons and skunks!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's one that work well and is less messy and nicer to handle.

One part peanut butter, half part honey and a couple drops of anise oil.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a sardine.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the cheapest tuna I can get. Usually one can will bait two traps with ease.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dog food.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And still another: Last night two of them tore down a bird feeder and ate all the sunflower seeds.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Best bait I have used for raccoons and possums has been McDonald's cheeseburgers. Use 1/4 of the cheeseburger . . . works great. Apparently they like junk food too.

Mike

Posts: 21204 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Raccoon's are pretty easy to trap. I just use marshmallows and a squirt of fish oil. A couple of marshmallows outside of the trap and 5-6 inside. Gets them every time.

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Collector:
Raccoon's are pretty easy to trap. I just use marshmallows and a squirt of fish oil. A couple of marshmallows outside of the trap and 5-6 inside. Gets them every time.

Yup. Don't overthink it. Stay with sweet baits if non target cats are a problem

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Best bait I have used for raccoons and possums has been McDonald's cheeseburgers. Use 1/4 of the cheeseburger . . . works great. Apparently they like junk food too.

Mike: What the hell possessed you to try a McDonalds cheeseburger? I'm going to try it...I like the way you think, sometimes.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
LOL. We had a leftover McD's cheeseburger in the frig from one of the kids. We needed to set the trap and I said, let me try a part of this cheeseburger. The rest as they say is history.

Mike

Posts: 21204 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfectly logical explanation to me. Ive used bologna, hot dogs, cheap tuna and cheaper sardines...the cheapo sardines seem to work the best. Around my place I don't think you could find a "leftover" McD cheeseburger.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
The problem with marshmallows.........

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see the pic but what is it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flying squirrel???

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trapper Tom:
Flying squirrel???

You could be right

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
It is a flying squirrel

---Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I catch them all the time out of customers attics. Maybe I should use marshmallows!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marshmallows work great for raccoons. I like to put a few on a stick as though I were going to roast them over a fire, and then put a little bit of sweet cherry oil and a tiny bit of fish oil on them, and stick it in the ground.

Appeals to two senses. sight, and smell. They can't resist it.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marshmallows work well and are more pleasant to handle.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote