New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear trap cabin decorations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got these sitting out in the rain, building up some rust/patina. They aren't good for much except decorations but still fun to set and play with. We still have legal bear trapping with foot snares though.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an original New House that my dad and uncle used for trapping bears in Wis.

They were a couple of the last bear trappers in the state.

He said they had a dozen New houses but sold all but the one I have when it became illegal to use them.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those aren't bear traps. Wink Try this.

https://www.halfordsmailorder...._1_0_/_ACDUKE6BEARLS

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was tempted by the #6, but wimped out and got the smaller #16s.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spray them with salt water to speed up the rusting and then I used to boil them in walnuts to dye them.
Scott

Posts: 413 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vinegar works too, but so far I'm just leaving them outside and the rust is coming along. The easiest die job I've ever found is just to leave traps in a cat-tail slough over-night. They get stained black, I believe from it's from tannic acid but don't quote me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put'm in the back yard and pee on'm.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Left 'em out in the rain and weather for a couple weeks, the rust is coming along.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sold 4 of them in about 1950 for $50 each, that same trap today in Idaho will fetch up to $500 last time I priced one in a gunshop...They get bought for display in the den of their new house multi million dollar home in Sun Valley it seems.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote