Find
Notify
Tools

Fox Farts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted
Any of you ever experience the phenomenon that occurs after skinning and/or fleshing a number of one species where your farts will smell like those animals ?

Gray fox have a unique odor when you skin em', I think it smells good actually. I've been skinning a bunch that I froze whole and fleshing and stretching them along with a bunch I skinned in the field.

So my farts have this delightful gray fox aura to them, that kinda lingers. As such, I marked the bank, the bakery and the hardware store this morning. Made a dog bark at me and caused a cat to run up a tree.

thumb

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Take a shower and don't forget the soap! animal

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take a shower and don't forget the soap!

What good would that do for this particular phenomenon.

I see it as an olfactory testament to a successful season, one that enables others to bask in the glory of nature.

I consider myself a giving person and freely share when blessed with such bounty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have not included the last two sentences on your reume, you should at least consider having them on your tombstone.
I actually have noticed the same unusual effect after skinning/cleaning rabbits/quail that have been eating fresh grass, but never noticed if any cats ran up trees.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
As a related matter, there is an old Norwegian saying to the effect that "All men like the smell of their own farts." N.S.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take a couple of days and smell the flowers,your fox smells may come up roses.

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
your fox smells may come up roses

Yup. Prices are looking damn good for my gray fox and bobcats. Big Grin

I think this furbearer fart phenomenon has a spiritual component.

When I skin and flesh a fox, coyote or bobcat their spirit enters me as I breathe, to mingle with my own spirit deep inside.

And when they feel the need to be set free they announce it.

The fox spirits do so with a bark and the bobcat spirits with a low, prolonged growl. Both have a proud resonance.

The coyotes like to slip out unnoticed audibally, preffering an olfactory proclamation. And they seem to prefer to do so whilst I stand in line at the grocery store, ride in an elevator or anywhere there's a crowd.

one of us
posted Hide Post
clap

..those coyotes, such the jesters of nature...

..those grocery line anonymous venting sessions are hilarious. thumb.I much prefer the "walk by" method...the pedestrian equivalent of the "drive by shooting" jumping....with olfactory insults thrown in....the kids love it bewildered
another excellent place to practice is the local bookstore animal
Caribou rules for generation of "death gas"

Hear and forget. See and remember. Do and understand.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
LOL

Kmule - Blaming it on the spouse is even more hilarious when in a crowd

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
quote:
Blaming it on the spouse is even more hilarious when in a crowd

I hear that however that action can severely limit or eliminate any late night activities... thumbdown

If you take your dog with you thumb to the local pet store, there is a foolproof target for blame.. beer

"yes ma'am, we are here to buy {insert dogs name} some new food because the stuff he has been eating gives him terrible gas....uh huh....yes, that was him, you never hear them, they just sneak up on you and put a strangle hold on your nose and throat" CRYBABY nilly

Ha, life is sure fun !!

Hear and forget. See and remember. Do and understand.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
all kidding aside, i have expierenced this when skinnin squirrels and gutting turkeys....hmmm go figure LMAO!!!!

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
It is just a natural thing ... If you go out when a farmer is plowing good earth , in a day your farts will smell like the dirt .. , Spend time falling Red Cedar , and guess what your [ gas ] smells like , .. . ., What ever you breath goes into your blood and the impurities get filtered out and expelled ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with gumboot458 pheasant farts ect ect.

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you should spend some time pruning the roses or baking pies. This may sweeten your farts since their smell is so easily influenced by what you touch. Big Grin

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please don't stand next to me after an episode of Skunk skinning. Big Grin

Posts: 4229 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've experienced the same thing after duck hunting standing in a marsh inhaling the marsh gas,...Thought is was just me rotting from the inside out Eeker

Posts: 131 | Location: Southern WI | Registered: 09 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Nothing worse in my house than me after eating fish....phish pharts. Carp are expecially odiferous...karp krap. Not much quantity but the quality will bring a tear to your eye fishing

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
holycow

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:
So my farts have this delightful gray fox aura to them, that kinda lingers. As such, I marked the bank, the bakery and the hardware store this morning. Made a dog bark at me and caused a cat to run up a tree.

thumb

You only have to worry when you are walking down the street
and a whole load of dogs are following you. Big Grin

Then you really will get a few weird looks

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't fart but today after spending a few hours in the mountains scouting for bear the waitress at the restaurant said I smelled like fresh air and leaves.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time to resurrect this thread.

I remember reading this and tried to explain to someone the phenomenon with an incredibly nasty duck/goose fart in a large hunting blind-occupied by 6 goose hunters. One of guys asked what a feather from near the "oil can" would smell like if stuck in the propane heater? I warned/begged him no to do so, because I would respond with a goose fart. Brandon called my bluff and burned a feather and I stood up and let it rip-right in his face jumping Oh my God barf It was horrendous!

The day before I had cleaned a bunch of ducks and geese and WOW what flatulence !

Afterwards several of the other hunters actually allowed how they had noticed something similar when gutting deer. One of the hunters happened to be a dermatologist. He said the skin is an organ and it absorbs all kinds of liquids that the body has to process. Transporting to the colon for disposal is not uncommon.

I guess if we were to wear rubber gloves this could be avoided, but that would kill all the fun !

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell of a deal. Back in '12 I lost my colon and a/h.
Chron's about did me in.

Now with this sorry belly bag setup when what would have been a fart.
Just makes loud noises and fills the bag with gas.
Need to pay attention when it does as too much pressure blows it off the mounting ring.
Then there's one hell of a mess too!

Be glad you still have yours!! This ain't much fun.

I've been saying not having and A/H, changing my attitude is the hard part!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote