New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 Marlin GG?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm about to make a trade for a GG in 450 Marlin. I've had one in 4570 and have brass and dies, I'd rather have the 4570 but the deal is on a 450. I'm getting some brass but will have to buy dies. Just wondering what everyone thinks of these, any problems other than brass. Any good loads?

Posts: 558 | Location: Southwest B.C. | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the very simplest of terms:

"a 450Marlin is a 45-70 for people who don't reload"

Basically the 450Marlin is a 45-70 already "hotrodded" to 45-70 handload levels, because Marlin and Hornady couldn't get SAAMI to approve a 45-70 "+P" standard.

Other than the different brass and dies it's a 45-70.

I would buy one, but that's only because I already have a 45-70.

In terms of real world performance ther is no difference because the 450Marlin was designed to perform the same.

In some specific handloads there is a tiny advantage to the 45-70, but the operative word here is "tiny"

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 450 because, as mentioned above, I don't reload. The differences between the two rounds is pretty much nil, but as Allan mentioned, you can hot rod the 45-70 a tiny bit more. Get the 450 & enjoy it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Don't really plan on shooting nutbar loads anyway. Since its not a 4570 and it has a belt it should be good for DG in Africa too. sofa

Posts: 558 | Location: Southwest B.C. | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually picked up a 450 Marlin the same way. I wanted the 45-70 to match my BFR but the 450 was a good deal so I grabbed it. Brass is a little tougher to find locally, but that's my only problem with it.

As for loads, try the Hornady Leverevolution stuff. I used some while waiting for my brass and dies to show up and it shot 1" groups at 100yds with the Burris 2.75 Scout scope on there. For handloads I'm using 51.5gr H322 and a 400gr sp. It doesn't shoot as well as the Hornady stuff, but it's a much more potent load.

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just stock up on brass - 500 pieces ought to do - before it's discontinued and buy the dies and you'll be set for life.