Find
Notify
Tools

Wild West Large Loop
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted
What is the attraction of a Wild West Large Loop? It just seems to large to be practicable for me.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well it worked for Lucas McCain... Big Grin

But like you, I do not think I need one... Roll Eyes

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Maybe if you are wearing mittens?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I've watched the video on Winchesters site showing the operation of their big loop 92 and it just seems like a lot of hand travel to cycle the action. I can see that if you were wearing large mittens the big loop might not be a bad idea. What I really done get is the Rossi Ranch Hand.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I really done get is the Rossi Ranch Hand.

Also worked for Josh Randall.

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
it worked for Lucas McCain[/quote]

& some guy named John Wayne.

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Does not work for me, too hard on the back of the hand and too slow to operate. I suspect it is the Hollywood look that sells these.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just from playing with mine, I wonder if a completely different shape might be more amenable to some. Take the large loop and put a "dent" in it about midway, that would force the direction of the cocking hand to the bottom of the loop, and on return the hand position would be thrown back to the rear.

Has there ever been any serious analysis of this regarding consistency of hold?

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I dont like the large lever loop either. Too much slack that you hit your hand to hard when fast cycling. Slows down cycling. This reminds me of my idea to make a hybrid lever/slide action. Imagine coupling what looks like a shotgun or lightning action to the lever mechanism sans the lever hand part. A slide is quicker than a lever. I also want a titanium lever to bolt on. That and a synthetic stock.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have big hands and heavy 45/70 load your hand will get smashed from recoil. That's the main attraction and wearing gloves. I switched mine out for the hand smash problem

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2846 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to try one on my 44 mag. There always seems to be somewhere else for the money to go so it is still not done. I believe the big lever, Skinner Sights, and a home made action job would have mine just the way I want it.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
A large loop lever might have avoided the front of the lever from bashing the middle finger knuckle of my right hand when first shooting hot 400 grain loads in my 1895 .405 from a bench rest even WITH a lead sled.
After it stopped hurting, I quickly developed a way to hold the lever to avoid a repeat of the smashing. That damn knuckle still hurts some today, 3 years after the incident. Mad

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying my 1895SBL in pursuit of deer for the last several days. It may not be immediately obvious to those from the tropics (you know: Texas, Ohio...places like that! Smiler) but that large leverloop is a godsend when shooting with heavy gloves or mitts. A flip-back mitten fits nicely into the loop, and still allows instant exposure and use of the trigger finger when required. When shooting with bare hands, I do find the large loop less comfortable, but that's rarely a concern for me when hunting near home.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I have one of the SS Wild West Alaskan Guides and chambered for 457WWM. It has the large loop lever and I really like it! The lever doesn't bust your knuckles and is big enough you can wear mittens if you want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Ranch Hand and put on a full stock for it thinking it would be the nicest handiest little .44 mag but i sold it as i did not like the "Large Loop" set up. I like a smaller or regular size lever to reduce hand slop myself. Its gimicky to me. But its a personal preference for sure.

Posts: 55 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of CTI1USNRET
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leverboy:

I bought a Ranch Hand and put on a full stock ...

You turned it into a Short Barrel Rifle. I wish we could do that.

But if you put a new stock on it you could have also changed the lever and had the handy 44 Mag you wanted.

Posts: 69 | Location: The Monadnocks | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Besides you can't shoot a gun properly with those far North large mittens! It a gimmick that was born in Hollywood, and I can't think of anything that came out of Hollywood that made since,

make that California also! Roll Eyes How about the 5 new California gun laws, now you have to get written permission from the Govenor of the state to sell a gun..Dealers in Idaho are refusing to transfer guns to California and many Californians are doing biz in Nevada and Ariz. Opps got off the subject, just a rant, sorry.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Ray, but I've hunted in the cold once or twice (!) and can assure you that mittens with a flip-back, or better yet a simple slit cut into the appropriate spot on the front edge of the palm, keep your hands warm and still allow you to project just your trigger finger out and onto the trigger for shooting. This works perfectly with a bolt action, but with a lever it becomes difficult or impossible...unless you have that nice big loop. I'm talking here about mitts that are roomy enough to enclose your hand wearing a polypro glove liner, a fingerless glove on top of that, and with enough space left over for a disposable heat pack and a small varmint call.

Beautiful job on that Ranch Hand, Leverboy. Is that the buttstock that Rusty Wood sells?

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well anybody that switched there 94 Winchester over to a large loop I'd be interested in your old standard lever.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JWM, Some folks are bound to like them, one does wonder how all those 3 million Winchesters without that big lever in Alaska and cold climes every managed to shoot Grizzly and Indians with'um! sofa I also have hunted the North country and live pretty close to cold country and never had any complaint with the factory lever..Still think Hollywood made them popular before we knew better I guess, but then Hollywood never impressed me much. beer

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I find it funny that back when virtually everybody around the globe used Winchester and Marlin lever actions no one saw a need for the large loop lever. Then after bolt, pumps and semi automatics became popular and Hollywood made Westerns, low slung, quick draw holsters and large loop levers became popular.
I suppose they both still have a purpose -- for those folks who watch and believe reality TV.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4192 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scoff if you wish, but I doubt I have ever watched more than 1 hour of TV on any given day in my life. I often go weeks at a time without watching any...then when I turn one on, it doesn't take long to remember why, and it goes off again. My parents didn't allow it when I was a kid, and the addiction never got a chance to take hold.

BUT...the first time I saw a large lever loop in person, I thought "Wow, that looks stupid!" When I picked it up and cycled it a couple times, I changed that to "This might work okay..." and after using one for a cold-weather heavy-mitten hunt I doubted no longer. Yep, they're ugly...but so are Blasers, any shotguns other than SxS doubles, Mini-14's, and a host of other firearms that I own and appreciate for their utility. They're doers, not lookers.

I'm just thankful that I wasn't on the internet when I bought all those guns...ignorance indeed led to bliss! As Bob Seger wrote: I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Completely useless; strictly Hollywood nonsense. But to the uninitiated, they look cool on TV and now, people buy them.
Yuck.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't remember the name of the source, but there is a firm offering a modified version of the "big loop" for Marlin lever guns that does not look so "hollywoodish" yet provides more of an opening for gloved hands. Big loop lever, modified loop lever, issue lever, whatever works for the owner is the ultimate goal.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dainty hand is to large for 86/71 levers. Won't go into an 1895 loop at all. The 94 pistol grip loops are OK for a naked hand. I cut the lever and add an inch welded on. Some file work and I can get a gloved hand in the loop.
The lever loops on 1876 Winchesters are much like the size I've made for mine. People were much smaller a hundred years ago so had smaller hands. The large loop levers are a goofy looking accessorie but some folks need the room.

Posts: 123 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sure, a slightly larger loop for modern gloved hands is fine, but these 5 inch monstrosities were made for Hollywood movies and TV shows; they weren't designed by actual shooters. Even gorilla hands have way too much lost motion inside them. Same reason Steve McQueen has a bandolier full of 45-70 rounds. Now, which expert told them to do that when he carries a cut down 92, big loop?

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
DRC makes a largeloop that looks better in shape than the WWG model.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What happened to pulling that big glove off with your teeth, you have a liner glove and its good to 50 below for a short time..Alaskans do it all the time..and most of those gloves today do have a flap and you can use a standard lever just fine with the flap back..but when it comes to guns, the choice is to each his own or whatever blows your skirt up! Roll Eyes

And whatever happened to not sticking your hand inside the lever, lots of hunters work the lever with the hand outside the lever, I've done it on occasion without any issues. Not my choice but it is another option.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I fail to understand why you continue to dredge this unremarkable thread up from the dead. This is the third time that it has quietly sunk into obscurity, only to have you resurrect it and continue beating the defunct equine. I get it...you don't like these things...after having this returned yet again to my mailbox, I don't like'em anymore either. You win!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
JWM,
What the hell is that post all about and directed at who, He asked a question and our opinnions. Everyone gave their opinion and discussed it, but 99% disagreed with you so now your upset and have a major pout on...My question is why, and what difference does it make? Its just gun talk without a campfire.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Besides you can't shoot a gun properly with those far North large mittens! It a gimmick that was born in Hollywood, and I can't think of anything that came out of Hollywood that made since,

rotflmo Ray, every time you post something like this, it makes me chuckle a bit. I installed a large loop on my Marlin this past winter for the simple reason that I can't fit a gloved hand inside the factory loop. You guys mention these old cowboy shows as justification you need/want one, but I'm 34 years old and don't have any idea what you're talking about. I've never seen or heard of one of these shows in my life... Big Grin

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote