Find
Notify
Tools

Upcoming Africa Trip
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted
I am in need of some factory ammo boxes for an upcoming African lever gun safari. I plan to take my .348 Win and 45/70 Govt. Does anyone have any factory ammo boxes that I can use for transporting my hand-loads to Africa? I am happy to buy, rent, or borrow...beggars can't be choosers. Smiler

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Darrell H

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just put my reloads in plastic boxes. In 2 trips to Australia and 5 to Africa no one has questioned it. They just want to know how many rounds I have for each caliber. I have never heard of anyone else being questioned either.

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Hi Dale,

Same experience here. My booking agent suggested that I use factory ammo boxes on this trip so I was hoping someone had some unneeded boxes so as not to take any chances. I’ve never been questioned either but there’s always that one official that could make things difficult.

Thanks,

Darrell H

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Just print off some color labels from original pictures and glue them to a blank box. No one will know.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x-caliber:
I am in need of some factory ammo boxes for an upcoming African lever gun safari. I plan to take my .348 Win and 45/70 Govt. Does anyone have any factory ammo boxes that I can use for transporting my hand-loads to Africa? I am happy to buy, rent, or borrow...beggars can't be choosers. Smiler

Darrell H

This will be a cool hunt,348 & 45-70? what loads are you using & what game are you hunting?
I will one day take a couple of my 348 wildcats to Africa Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
This will be a cool hunt,348 & 45-70? what loads are you using & what game are you hunting?
I will one day take a couple of my 348 wildcats to Africa Smiler

Thanks Bill, I'm looking forward to it! I'm targeting plains game. On this trip, I didn't want to specify specific animals I just wanted to go hunting for targets of opportunity. The hunting area has typical plains species such as wildebeest, bushbuck, eland, impala, warthog, duiker, waterbuck, zebra, etc. tu2

I'm shooting 200 grain A-Frames in the .348 and 350 grain A-Frames in the 45/70. Case full of Varget in both cartridges. The .348 load produces 2550 fps and the 45/70 load is traveling around 1900 fps. I've got XS sights, front and rear on the 45/70 and a Williams rear peep on the .348 with an XS front. Both guns are shooting well, can't wait! dancing

Which .348 based wildcats do you have?

Darrell H

one of us
posted Hide Post
X-caliber: Just curious why your booking agent recommended original factory boxes. Have the rules changed? What country will you be hunting? I remember someone talked about this in the past and they used the plastic cartridge boxes and made their own labels, such as "X-Caliber Custom Ammunition". Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Well I will be waiting for the hunt report,should be a nice read,I have the following calibers all based off the 348 win,
348 Ackley imp,35-348,416-348,450 Alaskan & the 475 Turnbull,so far I have only shot some hogs with the 450 & 475.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I, too, made up professional-looking labels, printed them out in color on Avery blank label stickers and attached them to new plastic ammo boxes. Did this for my 9,3X62 handloads and brother's .300 Savage handloads. Not a peep out of anyone going to and from Namibia.
X-caliber, that's a fabulous hunt you have lined up and a great choice of rifles.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only been to Tanzania, Zimbabwe a couple of times and many trips to South Africa......never any issues with my handloads in plastic MTM boxes.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
MTM or other plastic box,labeled,has worked thus fas

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MTM type boxes are fine. Secure them with a larger rubber band so they can be inspected but there is no way for the box to come apart. Labels as suggested can't hurt.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I can't help you with ammo boxes but I did as others have, I printed a color custom label with all the spec's then installed the label over them with clear packaging tape so you had to cut the wrap around label around the 20 round plastic boxes to get at them.
They looked at them but didn't give any trouble.
Have a great trip !

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I called "Travel with Guns" this morning and was told there has been no changes they knew of anywhere in Africa regarding ammunition boxes. The MTM-type plastic boxes are fine. They did recommend a lockable box that you can put all the ammunition in. Some airlines want it all in a separate container. I have a small plastic box that will hold 4 20-round plastic boxes. I lock it with TSA locks, have a luggage tag attached, and put it inside my checked bag. If SAA wants it shipped separately for the next flight, I just pull it out. Hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x-caliber:

Darrell H

I travel out of South Africa but have always used the plastic MTM boxes. Botswana / Mozambique / Zimbabwe.

Posts: 688 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can order factory type boxes from midway and Grafs, the are white cardboard, nice boxes and not expensive at all..I use them all the time..Been to Africa many times with them../come in cases of 25 or 500 as I recall. About a buck apiece as I recall.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've been to Africa a total of 14 times. RSA, Zim, Botswana and Namibia. I use plastic boxes and never had a problem. Put a rubber band or two around the lid to make sure they don't come off in transit.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Factory boxes and MTM caseguards have sufficed for Zimbabwe and internal Aus flights.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote