New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 1886 Ammo Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Win 1886 with the 30" barrel in 45-70, made in 1890. It is in good condition and the man I bought it from shot an elk with it the year before I purchased the rifle. A gunsmith told me it looked in working condition, but we did not test it. Anyway, it only came with 3 shells and I am in search of new cartridges that the rifle can handle to possibly use it on a hunt this Fall. I don't reload.

What is the max PSI you would use in this gun? I saw an article that it can handle 28,000 psi- but not sure as I read another site which stated 18,000 psi.

Ammo recommendations as many "repro-cowboy loads" are unavailable/out-of-stock?

I have a box of older PMC 405gr Lead Flat Points, but no idea on the PSI. I also have a box of Hornady Leverevolution 325gr Evolutions that Hornady says are at 28,000 psi.

Thanks

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It should handle any modern factory ammo available.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC:
I have a Win 1886 with the 30" barrel in 45-70, made in 1890. It is in good condition and the man I bought it from shot an elk with it the year before I purchased the rifle. A gunsmith told me it looked in working condition, but we did not test it. Anyway, it only came with 3 shells and I am in search of new cartridges that the rifle can handle to
possibly use it on a hunt this Fall. I don't reload.

What is the max PSI you would use in this gun? I saw an article that it can handle 28,000 psi- but not sure as I read another site which stated 18,000 psi.

Ammo recommendations as many "repro-cowboy loads" are unavailable/out-of-stock?

I have a box of older PMC 405gr Lead Flat Points, but no idea on the PSI. I also have a box of Hornady Leverevolution 325gr Evolutions that Hornady says are at 28,000 psi.

Thanks

I would call up Doug Turnbull at Turnbull restorations,if anybody knows what your gun can handle he would be the man.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
If it is in good shootable condition, your shoulder will give out before the rifle! Eeker

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll send Doug an email- thanks for the suggestion.

All I know is the old boys who carried these rifles were cut from a different cloth than me. It is heavy and has a nice steel butt-plate to knock some sense into or out of a guy. I think it would be interesting to shoot a moose with it, but I want to be safe and not hurt it.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
MC - WRT steel buttplate - do not mount it like a shotgun and be careful shooting from a bench rest unless you use a lead sled. Let the rifle push you around or up and shoot standing and you will never get a bruise or cut from your 1886. My max .45-90 loads are 450 grain bullet at 2150 and shooting them properly leaves no bruises or cuts from the metal butt plate.
Cannot say the same for the critters on the receiving end though. Wink

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CR- pretty gun, is that an original pre1920 1886? If so then mine should be able to handle 405s in the 2000fps range. Good advice on the shooting postures. I have shot a 50 cal TC with the steel buttplate and I wanted to be past the steel. Haha

I sent Doug an email asking his opinion. Have not heard back, but don't expect to as I'm not a customer. Looks like his shop puts out some fine work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MC
Shot a friends early 1900’s, 1886 with Remington 405 green box ammo. We did tie to a tire with a string around the trigger for the first shot. The rest of them worked just fine with no issues. My 45/70 Sabatti double is listed at 28,000 psi max. The Leverevolution 325gr is the regulation ammo.

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
MC - Mine is a Miroku made 1886 and I bought it so I could load as heavy as I liked. It shoots factory .45-70 hunting ammo as well as hand loaded .45-90 ammo, which is very good.

Thank you for the flowers, but that picture was taken before the rifle had ever been hunted and it is no longer pristine. The front of the comb has been cut back to allow the tang sight to fold all the way back, a folding Marbles barrel sight has been added for close quarter shooting, it has been hunted a bit in Texas and New Mexico, fallen from a moving jeep in Africa, and taken a few head of DG. However, most of the scratches came off and it still shoots as well as ever.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the shotgun butt every time!

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Buckeye,
I have nothing against the shotgun butt with a recoil pad, but I just could not bring myself to butcher up that classic curved steel butt plate. I just learned to shoot it as is and that works for me.
PS My 1895 .405 does have a shotgun style butt and a Limbsaver pad; I would never want to shoot heavy .405 loads with a flat steel buttplate.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I shot the gun today and WOW- that was fun. I used the 325 Leverolutions and they were a pleasure to shoot. I'll try 405s next time. The steel butt doesn't fit perfectly, but it wasn't bad. I might make a leather pad for it.

Can I just say how amazing the quality of workmanship is from 1890. The cycle, tight action, accuracy, everything. I can't believe I havn't shot it sooner. Hope to have photos of it proped up on a dead moose this Fall.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I had an 86 built in 1889. I think the early ones were still for black powder. You might want to check when they went smokeless and use appropriate loads.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The curved steel butt plate is not designed to be positioned on your shoulder, like a flat buttstock.

It is intended to be positioned on your arm, close to the shoulder. The "curve" is designed to "hook" on the arm and hold the rifle in place while you are working the lever, especially in rapid fire.

When you work the lever the rifle wants to move up and down, the curved buttplate keeps the rifle in place on your arm.

Other rifles, like bolts, pumps and semiautos, do not need curved buttplates to keep them in place while their actions work...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lee440- The powder type is not as important as the psi. Or so I have been told by almost everyone. I am using low psi loads.

NE- Yes, it sat best just off the shoulder, but I may pur something over the ends just in case I shoulder it improperly in the moment.

The reality is it kicked much less than my TC 50 cal muzzleloader with a steel butt plate. Also, was quieter than my other centerfire rifles. Held nice groups and was fun to shoot.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
450NE #2
This is the first post from you that I have seen since you went to Australia to hunt.
Does this mean that you back in country?
If so, how did it go?
Also, when and where will you post your hunt report?

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Buckeye,
I have nothing against the shotgun butt with a recoil pad, but I just could not bring myself to butcher up that classic curved steel butt plate. I just learned to shoot it as is and that works for me.
PS My 1895 .405 does have a shotgun style butt and a Limbsaver pad; I would never want to shoot heavy .405 loads with a flat steel buttplate.

Nope, I would not alter an original either. Exactly why mine are a Turnbull Custom and a USRA gun. I can get the shotgun butt and hunt with it without worrying about damaging a classic or altering my shooting style.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any standard factory load that's not +P should be ok. Normal factory loads are designed to work in trapdoor springfields.

A modern 1886 can handle the same loads as a Marlin 1895, but I'm not sure I'd shoot anything that hot in an old gun without having a gunsmith who knows about old lever guns take a look at it.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I took off the curved steel buttplate and stock, and put a "shotgun" type stock with a recoil pad on mine so I can easily shoot 70-80 rounds per day from the bench and still enjoy it with no problems at all.

Of course I kept the original stock too. Now IF I ever decided to sell it, I'd just give it to the buyer with both stocks, and he can put on whichever he wants to use, anytime he wants.

They are pussycats with factory loads IF a person doesn't psych himself into thinking they are a big kicker just because the bore size looks big.. Just relax and shoot it...it isn't gonna scratch or bite near as much as a plain old housecat....It'll be your best friend if you let it.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most uncomfortable butt plate to shoot that I have found is a CARBINE butt plate. THey are the sorst!!!

I tend to use more than enough gun.