Find
Notify
Tools

Pancho Villa’s Carabina
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
Or maybe Pancho Via. Here it is. One of a kind.

Pancho Villa’s (Via’s?) Treinta Treinta

I am not, nor do I have any relation to, the seller.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13373 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Certificate of authenticity would be nice, if one were interested in this. I have found it interesting over the years that there seems to be such a market in people with a collectible desire for weapons of the outlaws. Paraphernalia as well. I will admit that since there is this fascination in the publics eye + therefore Clye Barrow's or John Dillenger's pistols would have sold for a mint; the posting price of Villa's rifle of $2750.00 puts him as we know as a pretty much low rate outlaw.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Difficult to accept the provenance when they can't even get the name right.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
There is a very nice New Mexico state park -- Pancho Villa State Park as you might guess -- in Columbus dedicated to preserving the memory of Villa's historic attack on the city in 1916.
I agree with Randy on the provenance issue. If that could be proven to have been owned at some point by Villa, its value would be magnitudes higher.

https://www.britannica.com/bio...exican-revolutionary

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
back in the 70s we would jeep in jacked up cj5s from el pasos upper valley thru the desert past kilborns hole to columbus just for the hell of it. i think there was maybe 4 buildings there then still standing. could be wrong, been a long time ago.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, it probably hasn't changed much. There is a good little burger place across from the Depot Museum.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Since the rifle has been sold, this thread has become of little interest to me so I shall try to post somethings else.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a 100 or more bars in New Mexico with Billy the kids personal gun, even some double action smiths and colt 1911s.. jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
There are a 100 or more bars in New Mexico with Billy the kids personal gun, even some double action smiths and colt 1911s.. jumping

Not an exaggeration. I talked to the ladies in the El Paso History Museum, I was interested in John Selman's pistol and the whereabouts. They don't have it, but I saw it in the 1980's in some museum,now gone, in El Paso.

However, they had run into the difficulties of authentication of historical firearms again and again. And some people, like Wyatt Earp in particular, and Pancho Villa's wife, were known to sell numerous firearms "owned" by the person in question.

Why should someone wanting money, or needing money, be concerned about historical accuracy? They don't care, they want the money.

Art forgery, lots of articles on that topic: https://www.theguardian.com/ne...rt-forgery-detective

https://www.acfeinsights.com/a...cams-shook-art-world

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed! I ran into a guy in the late 60s that would let me have Dan Blocker's saddle for $200.00 + Wild Bill's revolver for $50.00. He was REALLY pushing the level of believability. That being said when I was at Ft.Hood in Killeen in 1970 I went to Buds gun shop on Ave D + he had an original 1873 Colt in 45 L.C. for $40.00. I didn't have enough to make me until payday so I passed. I'm sure we all have a plethora of regrets.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so hows the saddle ride?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, over 130 men claimed to be the sole survivor of the battle of Little Bighorn. In reality there were none (with a VERY slight possibility of maybe one guy). Supposedly there was a gathering in the 1920s of over 100 of them. I imagine the purse swinging was epic!

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Were the native Americans not also men?

Posts: 4940 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of couse they were; by today's standards. In 1876, they were viewed along the same lines as you viewed your aborigines. Besides, I believe that the query was about White 7th Cav. survivors.

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
That was not Villa's real name.

Both Capt Benteen and Major Reno, along with Crazy Horse survived the battle, as did another famous horse.

Custer split his command before a superior force of the enemy. Only R. Lee and Jackson could do that successfully.

Posts: 353 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slamfire,
John Selmans pistol was in the storage of the EL Paso county SO at one time, along with the warrent and the case report of selman killing John Wesley Hardin which I read..I had a Lawyer business card of John Wesley Hardin that I gave to Bill Morrison some years ago..John Wesleys grand daughter lives in El Paso and gave one of his pistols to Ken Carpenter a number of years ago..I knew all these people and have reason to believe all is corrrect..Lot of history in those EL Paso, old files..
I recall the results of Selmans trial by the judge.."Shooting someone in the back is a hanias offence and a criminal offence, but shooting John Wesley Hardin in the back showed uncommonly good since" best I recall. I was a patrolman and a narcotics investigator for the EPSO for a number of years.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this like buying John Voight’s car?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fm2iNNqj2fQ

Posts: 147 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 02 January 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slamfire,,
I located John Selmans pistol, its in a private residents musem in Corpus Christi or one of those larger ocean front properties..Its a huge musem in a very old part of town with a world of history in it and its open daily...curse me I forgot the rest, but check around, and you can find it, those towns are small and the city fathers or sheriff will probably know..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120