Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted
Acquisition.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very nice post, Thank you for the photos.

Should be a hammer. 300gr Sierra at almost 2,500 is some nice horsepower

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's a very capable levergun for just about anything, anywhere. Hope you get to hunt with it soon.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The WSM magazine provides the option of additional performance using pointed bullets and you have the stock mag for FN bullets. Nice set up.

Did you have to do much to make the WSM mag fit the rifle?

Your landscape photos are simply brilliant.

Posts: 498 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4sixteen:
500gr Hornady DGX and 500gr Woodleigh PP rounds as shown fit 325 WSM BLR mag and chamber no issues in my BLR. Pretty sure 1900~2000 fps muzzle speed near max pressure possible. 500gr PP more downrange wallop compared to current 400gr Buster hunting load. Excellent results on big Moose with 500gr DGX at about 1700 fps impact.

What is the safe max pressure in your gun you think? I load for some win 71's & am close to 2000 fps with the 500's,woodleigh RN's,I flatten the nose down.I think I am in the low 40,000's psi in my guns.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the kind of game you’ll likely encounter Woodleigh’s 480grRN or 400grPP might be more appropriate choices.

The extra length in the WSM mag really opens up the bullet options.

Posts: 498 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote