New
Find
Notify
Tools

cull bucks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Took two cull bucks this fall. Each had 3pts on one side and a spike on the other. Two fairly large bucks for this area. Used my Winchester 95 .30/06 for the hunt.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
You did real well,what load were you using? another post on the 95 & I will have to get one!!!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The load was one of my handloads a 165 grn bullet at moderate velocity. See no need to supe it up when using iron sights. Get you a 95 they are slicker than owl manure.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that a Miroku '95? They make a great Winchester!

Posts: 88 | Location: PNW | Registered: 07 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is and I am very pleased with it. I just ignore the tang safety and the rebounding hammer is no big deal to me. Mine has an excellent trigger and the action is the smoothest I have experienced on a lever action. Even better than my Browning model 71 which isn't at all bad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it just me or do I resemble Jack O'CONNOR a bit in this picture? Probably just wishful thinking. Jack wasn't much for levermatics either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Matherne:
Yes it is and I am very pleased with it. I just ignore the tang safety and the rebounding hammer is no big deal to me. Mine has an excellent trigger and the action is the smoothest I have experienced on a lever action. Even better than my Browning model 71 which isn't at all bad.

I have a few myself and couldn't agree more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love those carbines! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Classic hunting rifles

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love those new Win 95 carbines in 30-06. sold mine, and Win quit making them it seems..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41781 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray I think you and I have something in common. That is the buying and then the selling to purchase that new must have. Then sometimes pinning for what I used to have. The 95 Carbine is what caught my eye in the late Seventies. No way was I going to be able to purchase one back then on my game warden's salary, so I bought something like it a BLR in .308. Nice gun but I no longer have it. The 95 Rifle is what I have in stead of the carbine, but I sure would love to have the carbine someday.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure do wish I could find one of the new 95 Carbines in 30-06, Ive seen a couple for sale in 30-40 but Im looking for a 06..The one I had I took the grip safety out of it and patched up the hole and it worked off the half cock just like the old guns did..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41781 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All new 95s should he converted to 405, which is what I do to all I get. Except for my 30-03. I'll leave that one alone.

Posts: 17061 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dpcd:
All new 95s should he converted to 405, which is what I do to all I get. Except for my 30-03. I'll leave that one alone.[/QUOT

Why? I have carbines in 30-40 and 30-06 and a deluxe case finished takedown in 30-06. You might talk me into converting one to 35 whelen. But, I have no interest in a 405.

Posts: 5693 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dpcd:
All new 95s should he converted to 405, which is what I do to all I get. Except for my 30-03. I'll leave that one alone.[/QUOT

Why? I have carbines in 30-40 and 30-06 and a deluxe case finished takedown in 30-06. You might talk me into converting one to 35 whelen. But, I have no interest in a 405.

I'd like to know "why" also. I very much enjoy my .30-06 and both .30-40s. I do have to admit I kinda want to try to convert a .405 into a carbine model. It would just be stock work (and a rear sight) but I'm not sure the hand guard could be opened up enough to go over the larger barrel. Just because no one else has one, I don't need a .405 for anything.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Why? Because 30 caliber 95 lever actions are boring. At least make them 35 cal.
I am not talking about carbines; those can be kept 30 cal for plinking and small jobs. .
No interest in a 405? They are fun. Need? Has nothing to do with owning rifles.
Why? Because I like them.
Oh, the original 405 barrels are the same size as the 30-06; the new Miroku ones are made with a non standard commercial barrel that was just taken off a Howa. Major design flaw, as was making it in 270. I have converted several 270 95s to 405 as they have no reason to exist. And the owners wanted 405s.
And I make the correct, original Winchester contour barrel for them which is straight tapered; no radii. Used on the original 30-03, 30-06, and 405. The 30-40 (30 US) used a long light barrel and the carbine is a short version of that.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
dpcd,
keep up the good work converting lesser calibers to .405 WCF !

The more the merrier!
This will help assure a good supply of .405 brass and bullets.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Why? Because 30 caliber 95 lever actions are boring. At least make them 35 cal.
I am not talking about carbines; those can be kept 30 cal for plinking and small jobs. .
No interest in a 405? They are fun. Need? Has nothing to do with owning rifles.
Why? Because I like them.
Oh, the original 405 barrels are the same size as the 30-06; the new Miroku ones are made with a non standard commercial barrel that was just taken off a Howa. Major design flaw, as was making it in 270. I have converted several 270 95s to 405 as they have no reason to exist. And the owners wanted 405s.
And I make the correct, original Winchester contour barrel for them which is straight tapered; no radii. Used on the original 30-03, 30-06, and 405. The 30-40 (30 US) used a long light barrel and the carbine is a short version of that.

Fair enough, but if I want bigger than 30 or even 35 caliber. I pick up my 1886 in 50-110, it does everything the 405 can do under 250 yards.

Posts: 5693 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, true,, but 86s are not 95s. Each has its forte.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My pal in Namibia has an original 95 in .405
It went through British proofs at some point I assume. It has been stamped with the cordite load on the barrel.
I used it a few times to hunt with, just for the history of it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I ever convert a mod. 95, and that's unlikely, but I have always entertained the idea or a Win. 95 carbing in the 9.3x62,,that would give me spasms and chillbains..

Right now I just would be happy with a the 1970 to 1980 or there about 30-06 carbine in a Winchester or Browning...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, that's one of the best ideas I have ever heard -- a 95 in 9,3X62. That said, I would dearly love to have a 95 in .35 Winchester.
Larry, that's some fine venison you harvested there.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16318 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
An old friend had a model 95 in .405 before WWII. IIRC he used to expand the necks of .38-72 cases, reload and shoot them at deer without fireforming first. Over time the recoil with the crescent butt plate got a bit much so he had it rebarrelled to .303 British, a pity because the deer really deserved a bigger calibre.

Posts: 4922 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Paul, we had an elderly gentleman who helped out with our Scout troop 50 years ago, and he had owned and used a 95 in .405 with the crescent butt in Alaska before World War I. All those years later, he said it still made him wince to think about the vicious bite of that rifle in that configuration.
Rest in peace, Mac McCulloch.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16318 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the 95s will get your attention with that cresent butt plate an they grab a finger now and then in the lever..A 30-06 shooting 220 gr. handloads is an attention getter..

I was amazed that the MIruku 95 in 30-06 can handle about any load the bolt actions can..MIne shot great with 58 grs of 4831, and IMR-4350 as well.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
The 95s are a classic. I recently sold mine to an AR member here. Mine was in 30 Govt. (30-40). It was a dream using the Sierra 220 G. RN bullets, plus that Lyman peep was to write home about.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect one would be hard pressed to tell the difference on elk between a 30-06 shooting the 220 Nosler and a 405, the end result would be pretty much the same as I found out with the 45-70 and 45-90..I liked the 06 and 220 Nosler a bit better as to killing and range..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120