Notify
Tools

A real lever action story
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted
Quick 1886 45-90 story;
I was after a bison and thought I had missed my left handed (right eye problem) shot at about 100 yards shooting left- over African loads (450 grain Kodiak at 2150 fps). The bison began to run left to right and disappeared behind trees as I levered in another round, my guide exclaimed that the fired brass went 6 feet above my head! A little adrenalin , maybe? Pissed off, I switched the rifle to right handed and tracked the bison like a passing dove, settled in on the shoulder and shot. The bison crumpled and rolled heels over head and my guide exclaimed again - something best not printed.
This is on film, but the only part worth watching is the last few seconds.
When the animal was skinned and butchered, we learned that the bullet had
shattered both shoulders and passed on through to points unknown. We also learned that my first shot was just right laterally but high - just a couple inches below the back bone.

That night, beers and steak dinner was on me.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
My first bison was also with a 45-90,a single shot Sharps 1874,a big old cast bullet going about 1500 fps,dropped it where it stood,the farmer was quite impressed Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Bill73
The bullet placed where in the animal?
Bullet pass through?

I wish I had got off my duff and had a Bison hunt back when cows and young males were available as meat animals could be hunted for reasonable meat prices.
Oh well, that was then . . .

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
My first bison was also with a 45-90,a single shot Sharps 1874,a big old cast bullet going about 1500 fps,dropped it where it stood,the farmer was quite impressed Smiler

Now, that’s a true buffalo rifle!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Charles, you have had some wonderful adventures with that Model 1886, haven't you? I always enjoy reading about them.
I wish bison hunts were as affordable now as they were 20 years ago, when you could get a yearling meat hunt for $700. I have a .50-70 rolling block that needs to stretch its legs.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
You've had a great time with that rifle but I would retire it to gentler duties because the pressure in those loads must be high as a cat's back and may be taking a toll on the action. The velocites are almost up with a .450 NE, where the case is much bigger, or a 458 Win., where the action is generally front-locking.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Bill73
The bullet placed where in the animal?
Bullet pass through?

The shot was placed midway up the neck in front of the shoulders,I spined it,bullet was cast 30:1 & there was an exit hole,I took the same shot on another bison using a bolt action,cal 376 Steyr,bullet was 270 gr Hornady soft,the bison did fall stunned but regained his feet,we had a good chase after,mud & all,took four more shots to kill that one.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first and last Bison both lung shots near the top of the heart at 75 and a 125 long steps with my old 450-400-3" Army/Navy double, one went 30 yards and humped up with the girls around him bumping him , then leaving and coming back again trying to get him up, not unusual with bison, the other a lone bull in the mountains, a hard stalk over and over and finaly got within 125 yards and took the shot, he took off and a second shot rolled him in a cloud of snow..an exciting hunt..Shot a couple more with my .338 win..but first and last with the double..doubt that I will ever shoot another..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Did any of these bullets hit the shoulder bones? I'm curious if the 45-70 400 - 500 grain cast bullets will break / penetrate those heavy bones.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Arkypete asked "Did any of these bullets hit the shoulder bones[/QUOTE]

CRS answered
quote:
When the animal was skinned and butchered, we learned that the bullet had shattered both shoulders and passed on through to points unknown. We also learned that my first shot was just right laterally but high - just a couple inches below the back bone.

[QUOTE]posted 20 August 2021 16:01 Hide Post

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CR: You are the Pope of Lever Actions.

Winchester lever and Bison can’t get more American.

Where are you going to put all that meat.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Meat to be spread over three freezers within Dallas area family members.
I also plan to shoot a young Nilgai because we eat that too. And maybe a cow elk or red deer cow.

Just waiting for the temperatures to drop some.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at