Find
Notify
Tools

Henry lever action 22
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted
I hadn't had a good reason to buy one of these until a commemorative came out that caught my eye. Got it yesterday and was stunned at how smooth the action was. My only other reference was a Marlin Golden 39 which was a fine rifle but nothing like this Henry.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Same for the two Henry .22 in my safe.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I bought one several years ago. They changed the bracket that fits over the barrel and magazine tube to plastic at this point, but other than that it is ok. It shoots well and it functions well. Great gun for the money.

Posts: 5694 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got both, Marlin 39 and the Henry. The Marlin is solid feeling, which makes it heavy. The Henry is light and quick handling due to its alloy receiver. Both are more accurate than me, if fed their choice of bullets.

The Henry is quite a bit cheaper than the Marlin ( mine is an older JM model) and gives a lot of value for the cost. I like both, but tend to favor the Marlin.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 936 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I have a Henry H001T with heavy octagonal barrel, best 22 in my rack!

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Ass Wallace:
I have a Henry H001T with heavy octagonal barrel, best 22 in my rack!

No doubt. I sold my 10/22 to buy the octagonal frontier. Gun was wicked accurate with irons, but I broke protocol and put on a 2-3x33 VX-1 Leupold. Best part is being able to shoot whatever I want out of it and it still function as a repeater.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I love my Marlin 39 that I've had since Jesus was a choir boy but it sounds like I need to check out the Henry. I've seen the ads, of course, just never had my hands on one.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I like the Henry that we bought for grandson.

However, I my go-to 22 rifles will continue to be my well broken in Model 61 pump/slide action that I bought as a teenager and my 9422M Extra bought some years ago at an estate sale.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My go to is a Marlin 1897 Cowboy. Really a 39A with straight grip and octagon barrel. I bought both of my sons Marlin 1897 Texans when they were young. Same as the Cowboy but shorter barrel. These are great little rifles if you can find one. Prices have really sky rocketed.

Posts: 136 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Winchester model 63 that I bought from Ray Atkinson that is a real treasure. In the 60s a friend inherited an old octagonal bbl Winchester falling block 22 that his uncle had used with rat shot + just left in the barn. The bore was gone. I wish I had that one today now that bbls can be drilled + sleeved.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
Got both, Marlin 39 and the Henry. The Marlin is solid feeling, which makes it heavy. The Henry is light and quick handling due to its alloy receiver. Both are more accurate than me, if fed their choice of bullets.

The Henry is quite a bit cheaper than the Marlin ( mine is an older JM model) and gives a lot of value for the cost. I like both, but tend to favor the Marlin.

Can't beat an older 39. Best .22 out there.

Posts: 5694 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't part with mine for love nor money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I wouldn't part with mine for love nor money.

I wouldn't own one for love nor money. I just don't like the Henry's. I like the Winchester 9422, Marlin 39, and Browning BL22 much much better. Don't get me wrong I have nothing but admiration for them being American made and all, very fair price, and they fill a niche.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was talking about my Marlin 39.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I was talking about my Marlin 39.

In that case you are absolutely right!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see the Henrys as a little cheesey as they took some short cuts, good using gun however, but not in the Marlin class of 22s IMO..The win. 63 is the best America made 22 ever, and the Brno mod 1 is the best foreign 22 ever. All of which is my opinion only, not speaking for anyone else..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41787 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I agree with you on the Win. 63 as you know. It would take an act of congress to get it back + I don't much care for congress anyway. Big Grin