THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    125th anniversary Winchester 1895 Shot Show Special
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

125th anniversary Winchester 1895 Shot Show Special
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8YMFM0cvvJw

http://www.winchesterguns.com/...ucts/model-1895.html

Winchester 1895 Shot Show Special

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Nice.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle but kind of a let down. I was hoping they would release more carbine models.

Posts: 88 | Location: PNW | Registered: 07 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like that it is not too blingy like the Roosevelt rifles were. I like the dark figure of the stock.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They are still using the wrong barrel contour and still has the tang safety, both of which need changing, so, no. Right caliber though.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle model of the 95 is an unwelding poorly balanced rifle IMO..never liked them but owned more than a few over the years...

Now the mod. 95 in the saddle ring carbine is a dilly, points great, handles like a dream easy to pack, fits a saddle scabbard and comes in 30-06, a better killer than the 30-40 or the 405..

Now I must go hide out for awhile! sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 405 is one of the 270s that sent back and turned into a 405. So, mine has the wrong, non historical, barrel contour.

However, I have to respectfully disagree and a big broken 10 point on my wall cannot agree that it is not unwieldy.

I shot him he first shot in the lungs right behind he shoulder blade at 6 or ten feet. I could have lunged and stuck him with the barrel. He was leaping, not running, butleaping to kick my backside. I was on the ground when he came through. I called him in with my mouth.

I could not use the sights as he bounded up and down with the sun right behind him. I was sitting away from him, and twisted as close to 180 degrees as the human spine would allow pinned against a poplar tree.

At the shot, he ran about 20 yards as he numbed up. I had raked the lever, came around the tree, and before he could get gone ripped his liver, top of the stomach, and one lobe of a lung. He collapsed mid step.

Very fast and handy.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
The rifle model of the 95 is an unwelding poorly balanced rifle IMO

Ray, I respect your opinion, but am very pleased with my Miroku/Winchester 1895 .405, regardless of the barrel contour or the tang safety. I am a hunter, not a collector and it works for me.
I am accustomed to tang safeties on double guns and find the tang safety to be easy to use either right or left handed-- not true of the right handed safety of my pre 64 M70 FW. That reminds me of an 1895 pronghorn hunting story, but I think I have made my point.
Cheers,

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cant speak for the 24" barrel rifle version (never seen nor held one) but the 22" barrel SRC makes a wonderful saddle gun. I agree with Ray that they carry, point and shoot extremely well.
Someday I'd like to convert one to .405 "just because".

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
When and how did Winchester decide to go with that fugly forend?
I hate those. They have no resemblance to the original forend shape.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Wrong sized hole for me. I would buy a 30-40, 30-06 or 35 whelen. No interest in 405.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Wrong sized hole for me. I would buy a 30-40, 30-06 or 35 whelen. No interest in 405.

It's available in .30-40 Krag and .30-06 as well as .405 Winchester.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HawkCreek:
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

It's available in .30-40 Krag and .30-06 as well as .405 Winchester.

Yep. Got carbines in 30-06 and 30-40 and a case finished take down in 30-06. Thinking of a carbine in 30-06 and having it turned into a 35 whelen. Like I need another rifle. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
A carbine in the 35 Whelen would be the cat's meow Wink

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I would not mind a 35 Whelen 1895 carbine in a lightweight as possible configuration as well as a 24”.

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have a gundealer in Denmark here that has a ´95 carbine in.303 with Lyman recieversight. Its been for sale for years and years.. Price is about Usd 2200

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Not many cowboys in your neck of the woods aye?