Find
Notify
Tools

Win 71 348 Ackley improved.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted
I took my 1937 Long tang 348 improved to the range today,50deg f, rainy no sun & windy,my load is a 250 Barnes fn @2400 fps,with a bolt mounted peep & my tired eyes, the old lady puts out pretty well,1” groups all the way to a 100 yrds,this is off a standing rest,who says the old Winchesters are not accurate? I am looking forward to hunting with this rifle.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
care to mention what critters you plan to hunt with it?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
care to mention what critters you plan to hunt with it?

I am planning on making it to Texas soon,hogs beware Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Bill73,
Due to a number of farm and health maintenance issues, I am way behind on hog shooting. My wife has even begun to complain of the lack of fresh breakfast sausage.

Even my daughter wants to go hunting again now that her son is in college. One of her coworkers has asked her to go shoot hogs with him as he cannot seem to keep the hog population down on a nearby farm;shooting from a blind 45 yards from a corn feeder. So, it will be off to the range soon to blow the dust out of her left handed .243.
She has never hunted Richard's AOA exotic ranch at Hondo,TX either, so I will definitely take her there, as there I do not have to clean or dispose of the dead game. Wink And my favorite place in OK, The Boars Nest, where we can hunt boars with chase dogs or hunt another area for hogs from 100 pounds up.
Our freezers are full just now, but by late winter we will have room for an elk cow. As you know elk are considered exotic game in Texas and can be hunted year around free range or on exotic ranches.

Good hunting!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a gun in a caliber Ive yet to try out, but always intended to, it would make a dandy elk rifle, or saddle gun..you'd also be bear proof! I have resisted punching out my 348s, and I like what I see in the 375 Ackley on the 348 case in a 71..That should be a bear killer..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote