Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger high bidder for Marlin
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
This will be very interesting if the bankruptcy court approves the asset sale.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns....ory-gets-bushmaster/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup Ruger may possibly ruin the good old forged receivers on the Marlin leveractions and replace them with their cheap castings. Yes I know they work, but it's the idea of it. I feel they should keep the Marlin line as is and maybe improve the quality.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
then again they might have just wanted the equipment.
remember that remarlin had gone through and re-done the entire line not too long back.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup they did. I think if Ruger gets them that they should just let them be except for improving the quality. Be nice to bring the prices down as they were outrageous before.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
My first thought was, here come investment cast receivers and so long to the forgings, but we shall see. They might actually make the 336/1895 stronger and more affordable. I think I could live with the tradeoff.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Guys, I've been to their facility and seen their investment casting process. The "cheap" term is not completely accurate. IMO, they had excellent process control and produced superior parts. They might make some innovative, positive changes to the Marlin line. Time will tell.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just want Ruger to restore the Marlin name and quality.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
I just want Ruger to restore the Marlin name and quality.

+1

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger just officially announced that the bankruptcy court accepted their offer to buy Marlin, and only Marlin. Ruger now owns Marlin and wants that line of lever guns to compliment their product line. They said at $30 million, it was too good of an offer to pass up.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
This is excellent news. Glad the sale went through.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger say they will keep the Marlin legacy, but the buildings and land are not bought only the firearm production.

“The brand aligns perfectly with ours and the Marlin product portfolio will help us widen our already diverse product offerings.”

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...ive-lever-gun-ruger/

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Well Marlin was moved from North Haven to Remington's facility a few years back so no loss there.

I'm also hoping Ruger gets them back to their old quality standard. The only possible improvement they could make in my eyes is to scale up the current 1895 to the original 1895 dimensions that would allow for longer cartridges. The original was chambered in almost all the Winchester 1886 cartridges.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That would be nice.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I am very excited about the prospect of it all.

I have been looking for a Marlin in good shape for an upcoming javelina hunt.

I can't wait until I can get a new one in 1894 in 44 Mag again.

I'd like a rifle length barrel and a pistol grip stock. I doubt that is something that will be produced.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Keep your fingers crossed that it works out for the Marlin Brand. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed! Somewhere out there I have a model 1895 in 444 that was borrowed + never returned. Mad

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Well Marlin was moved from North Haven to Remington's facility a few years back so no loss there.

Long time back, I had a friend's Marlin 80 to fix with a bad cartridge guide. Couldn't find one and went to the Marlin plant to beg for it.
I got in, explained to a secretary what I needed, five minutes later a guy in a machinist's apron came out with two of them, no charge.

Marlin, hell yes...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What has happened to the Dakota brand?

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I can find out from second hand sources is a real estate group named Roundhill Group bought Dakota. I would like to know how much they bid.

Posts: 10606 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
From what I can find out from second hand sources is a real estate group named Roundhill Group bought Dakota. I would like to know how much they bid.

Interesting, Roundhill Group LLC won the bid on the non-Marlin portion of Remington’s firearms business for $13 million.

The other bidders

Vista Outdoor Inc. was the successful bidder for the Lonoke ammunitions business.
Sierra Bullets LLC was the successful bidder for the Barnes ammunition business.
Sturm, Ruger & Co. was the successful bidder for the Marlin firearms business.
JJE Capital Holdings LLC was the successful bidder for the DPMS, H&R, Stormlake, AAC and Parker brands.
Franklin Armory Holdings Inc. was the successful bidder for the Bushmaster brand and certain related assets.
Sportsman’s Warehouse Inc. was the successful bidder for the Tapco brand.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
JJE Capital Holdings LLC was the successful bidder for the DPMS, H&R, Stormlake, AAC and Parker brands.

Mickinco,
Does the Parker name refer to the Parker Shotgun brand or to something else?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington acquired Parker around 1934. I believe they retained the name rights even after production stopped. So I believe this refers to the shotgun. It's mentioned here:

https://projectupland.com/shot...age-shotgun-history/

Posts: 136 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Thanks Homebrew.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote