New
Find
Notify
Tools

1895 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First deer I ever shot , was a nice fat 6 pointer . I was 16years old , that was 50 years ago ! I used my grandfathers 95 winchester in 30.06 Govt. Saddle ring carbine .
The butt plate has a trap door and I used to keep a spare silver tip bullet in there .

I think this year I'll break her out of the safe and shoot a deer with it . My pop would be proud !

Oh yea , gotta wear the old Woolrich red and black plaid coat

Bob

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1291 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, i still have my sporterized 30-40 Krag that my father bought from the NRA in the 1930s for $4.75. I've been wanting to whack a Whitetail with it for old time's sake.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear cat, that is a real cool rifle.
I had one in the craig. Wish i hadnt traded it...tj

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bearcat
We'll how was the old winchester 95 any news.
Biebs anything with the old Krag. Just wondering, I love those old guns. If you guys haven't been out yet Good Luck to you.
Scott

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kidd, I just picked up another 30-40 rifle, this time a Browning reproduction 1895 with Skinner sights. Have a bunch of ammunition now, so stay tuned :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brings back a thousand memories of elk camp in my youth, mod. 94s in 30-30, 38-55 and 25-35s, and 95s in 30-40 krag and later the 30-06 mostly carbines, and I recall the first mod. 99 in 300 Savage, it was the topic of conversation in that it ruined too much meat and was thought to be a magnum of some sort, mostly disregarded by the 250-3000 clan of 99 users! followed by dismissal of all scopes as a new fangled worthless sight, and that argument was universal.

I still have a soft spot for the 30-06 in a SRC, just a damn nice rifle..Later in years I was always back and fourth between it and the mod. 71, .348 Win. and still am.

I guess I have to pass on the Red coat and cap, its a geographical thing! With me it was long underwear, two or three sweaters and a lined Levi jacket, spurs, chaps, and worn out Stetson Or one of those old Elmer Fudd ear flap corduroy caps.. tu2 Same nostalgia, different part of the world.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Did I read that you had a 95 30/06 SRC re-stocked to a shotgun butt from the crescent but stock?

If I'm not crazy who did the work?

Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Andy,
Have you shot any game with your 1895 .405 yet?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,
I restocked my latest model 95 SRC with a shotgun butt and solid red pad. I used the cresent butt stock as a pattern leaving a good deal of wood to play with..It makes a big difference in recoil...I have done a number of them from simi inletted to real full blown customs from scratch..I sent you the loads you requested on a PM..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Andy,
Have you shot any game with your 1895 .405 yet?

It's hell on the little blacktail deer here in Western Washington.

I'm still contemplating the lengthening the throat and magazine for 400 grainers.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Andy,
yes. the factory Hornady 300 grain JSP is bery effective and sometimes destructive on light or small game.

For the little stuff like blacktails or whitetail you can load a lighter bullet such as the Hornady bullet for the .41 mag pistol.

Or these less destructive cast .41 mag bullets from Penn:

https://www.pennbullets.com/41/41-caliber.html

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted to rebarrel a mod. 95 to a 9.3x62..I know several here have done that and they liked them...Maybe one of these days.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
I have really enjoyed my '95 in .38-72, though I will say that with even mild pressure smokeless loads and 300 gr Hawks the recoil from the durn crescent buttplate is mighty nasty. Took two bison with one shot each, though, no complaints on that end.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote