New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 88 Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this on the Gunsmithing forum, but I thought I would try here as well. Is the front sight ramp on an 88 soldered on? I have to remove one, and I don't see any screws. Thanks in advance. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try taking the sight off the ramp. There may be a screw under that. Just a wild ass guss on my part.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Already did that Paul, but thanks anyway. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes..the front sight ramp is soldered on. You will have to heat it to remove and and if you do be certain to use the proper paste in the barrel so heat scale won't form.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan B.

There are some Model 88 that have a screw under the front sight. I don,t know if they come from the factory that way or were altered after the sale.
Hawkeye47

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the Win. 88 the sight is soldered on...If you are carefull then you can put a little heat on the "ramp" itself and tap it as you do and you won't need to use a scale paste inside the barrel. Then clean the solder off with no. 400 black emory paper and steel wool, touch up the barrel with cold blue and de-greased steel wool or rust blue it to match or as close as you can get..otherwise re-blue the entire barrel...

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote