THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Which powder for a .44 mag lever action
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which powder for a .44 mag lever action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi folks, with non-lead becoming more of a thing, I'm looking to develop a non-lead load for my 20" barrelled .44 Mag lever action.

Looks like I'll be using 200gr Barnes XPB and for velocity seems the thing to go for is either Lil'gun or Enforcer (Plus they tend to be stocked here - when anything is).

Question:
Which of these 2 powders for non-lead 44 mag lever action hunting loads

Choices:
Lil'gun
Enforcer

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I don't know Enforcer. I have used Lil'gun in the 44mag in the lever and the Desert Eagle. It worked.

Heard rumblings about hi temp with lil'gun but it may be internet lore.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Using a Rossi model 923 in 45Colt Shooting 300 grain GC'd cast bullets I've had good accuracy 20 - 22 grains of H-110, Mag primers.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the two choices, I would use Lil' Gun powder. If you can find Win. 296, I would recommend trying it also. 296 is my favorite powder for heavy loads in the .44 Magnum and .45 Colt, both handgun and rifle.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I still shoot 2400 for heavy 44 mag loads.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, 2400 is still the best and has been for years in both pistol and rifle..IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
I agree with the 2400 loads as well as H110. I've used both with great results. The H110 gave a touch more velocity.

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have several 44 mag rifles and a couple of pistols and of the two powders listed it would hands down be Lil'Gun.
Like arkypete my best powder for the 44 mag (& 45 Colt) has been H110 (especially with heavy bullets) although one pistol and one rifle seems to prefer 2400. The next 44 mag I buy may prefer Green Dot or something like that, who knows. lol.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second lil'gun, especially for 240 and heavyer bullets. Good hard crimp also.
It gives high vel with less pressure.
If you fire fast, it does seem like the barrel gets hot quicker then other powders. but it's not a varmint rifle. You wont be shooting 500 rounds at PD's in an afternoon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks, looks like it it Lil'gun next.

Scrummy

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enforcer is known as AA-4100 when it's in an accurate bottle.
it's western powders slightly [very slightly] faster version of 2400.
meaning it uses about .2 to .5grs. less for the same pressure and velocity as 2400 has.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in LEVEREVOLUTION, in the smaller rounds such as the 41 and 44 mags and 45 Long Colt.. Anyone got any input in this...I have no idea how or if it would work, but its the berries in the 30-30, 25-45, 32 special and a few others..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well folks,

Quest 44 mag load development continues and thinking about the growing issues of requirements for non-toxic bullets I thought about a way of trying to make the old .44 a bit more eco-friendly. Couldn't get the Barnes XPB here for love nor money so I bought some bullets from the S African company, Peregrine.

I'm picking up some Viht N105 and Hodgdon Lil'gun on Sunday for to try with these chaps.

Left 180gr Hog (Flying ashtray hollow point)
Centre Nosler 240 gr JSP for comparison
Right 205gr VRG (Plunger to initiate expansion)

N105 is for the 180gr Hog, the Lil'gun for the 205gr VRG3

I will keep everyone posted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question folks, does Lil'gun need a magnum primer?

(I have some Federal 155s which I can use)

Scrummy

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Doesn't seem to make much of a difference in side by side testing I conducted in my guns.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks. I have both so might try some side by side

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Don't rule out 4227 it works great in the 44 and 45 Colt but lil gun will give better velocities probably.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote