THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    375-348 improved or 375 Alaskan question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375-348 improved or 375 Alaskan question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm trying to figure out a mystery rechambering job for a Valmet 412 that started life as a 375 Winchester. While I'm awaiting a chamber casting I did rough measurements and it may be the cartridges I mentioned. If so does anyone here have experience or knowledge of forming cases or issues that might be encountered?

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I have three calibers that I shoot that are based on the 348 win,the 475 Turnbull,450 Alaskan & the 416/348 improved,if you have the right dies? & know how to anneal? Case forming is not a big deal at all.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as bill said. no big surprises if you can get the brass. over the years I have had a 450AK, 50AK, and a 375-348. in fact I still have the 375 reamer. made up a Siamese mauser for a client, a few ruger #1's and I also know it was used to build a double rifle for a buddy out in MO.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Juneau, Alaska, I spotted an M71 (Browning) and was so impressed with the handling that I bought it and rebarrelled it to .375/.348 Improved.
It'll send a 300gr Hornady RN out at 2200-2300fps with about any powder I can lay my hands on.
The M71 jumps quite a bit because of the drop in the stock, so your Valmet, or the above-mentioned double, should be about perfect for self defense against the bruins I was gonna encounter.
If I was going after Elk, Moose, or even Deer, I would slip a cast 270gr or 300gr slug over Alliant 2400 or some other pistol powder into the chamber.
That would produce 1400-1800fps and work just fine on any of the herbivores.
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
I just measured one of my ready-to-shoot handloads so your chamber dimensions SHOULD be similar.
length of case, minus the rim-2.128"
diameter in front of rim-.546"
diameter at shoulder-.535"
length of neck-.357"
the chamber casting should be close, if not it COULD still be based on the .348 case.
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
Being a rimmed case, fireforming is no problem at all.
If you can't expand the neck enough to get a .375 bullet in, then you can put 15-25gr of a pistol powder like Bullseye, Red Dot or 700x, ad infanutum, then fill the case with COW (Cream of Wheat) uncooked, lol.
Put a bit of parafin on top to hold the COW in, and shoot it up in the air. It'll be a bit noisy, so don't do it in the house, or you'll become persona non grata, lol. don't ask me how I know.
The case won't be fully formed, but will be close enough that you could load it with a load that will impress you, even over the screens.
Have fun,
Gene

one of us
posted Hide Post
348 brass is no longer a problem..Midway has the new Jamison and Hornady brass in a variety of old win. calibers. I just purchased some 25-35, 348 and 250-3000 from them..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I ever change my Browing .348, it will be to a 375/348 IMP..Thats a good balance and a real hammer in that it will shoot a 300 gr. bullet to within 100 FPS of my 375 H&H handloads, meaning Ive always loaded m 375 H&H to 2450-2500 FPS depending on the gun, as that velocity works best on Cape Buffalo etc in that its kinder to bullet performance on heavy game and elk for that matter.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I am kinda torn between the 375-348 & a 348 Ackley improved,a 250 gr bullet going 2500 fps outta the 348 improved is serious medicine & no need to rebarrel,I have killed lots of African game with a 250 going 2750 out of a 338 Lap & it has never let me down including a one shot kill on a huge giraffe.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only advantage to a 375/348 IMP and 348 Imp. is cross section of bullet, and I place a lot of pluses on cross secion that seems so little to some on these boards who have a new micrometer , plus the advantage of a 300 gr. bullet and perhaps a 350 gr. bullet...

If I decide to go either route it will be the 375/348 IMP to get that cross section of bullet and its knockdown advantage.

That said I can get 2400 with my Browninng 71 348 and that's a fair hammer on elk, and that's the reason Ive never broke down and had it changed and the 348 IMP does have some advantages such as a better case that lasts longer, and shoots a little faster, and is probably more practical.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blaserguy:
I'm trying to figure out a mystery rechambering job for a Valmet 412 that started life as a 375 Winchester. While I'm awaiting a chamber casting I did rough measurements and it may be the cartridges I mentioned. If so does anyone here have experience or knowledge of forming cases or issues that might be encountered?

Blaserguy I have a 375-348 Ackley Improved built on a Siamese mauser. The short ogive on many 375 cal bullets works well in the Siamese action. I picked up a supply of 348 Win headstamped brass at varios gun shows etc. Some of it was old. I would just run the brass through my size die , load and fireform. I lost a couple cases to splits on the first box and not wanting to loss more of a hard to find case I choose to anneal the cases before fireforming. Haven't lost a case since. Gives up very little to the 375 H&H with bullets 270 gr and lighter. With the heavier bullets the bullet robs too much powder capacity. COAL must be held to about 3 inches in the Siamese magazine. It would be almost a dead ringer for the 375 WSM.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote