THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Chiappa 1886 Wildlands take down in 45/70.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chiappa 1886 Wildlands take down in 45/70.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted
I keep thinking that this would be a nice gun,has anybody bought one yet? any comments on this gun would be appreciated,thanks.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
New to me, but I do like takedown rifles. 'In fact cleaning the bore on one now.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
New to me, but I do like takedown rifles. 'In fact cleaning the bore on one now.

This 45-70 interests me,, if you ever entered WWG and caught their uppity act you would understand why 45-70 lost it's allure. But this is a dandy and useful rig!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Cleaning would seem the main advantage these days, since we don't go hunting by train so much now.

I guess it could also be easier to extend the throat with a take-down, to make it a .45-70 Long-COL.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I am interested in the 94 repro in 30-30 or 38-55. I have not seen one in the flesh. Some love this brand and some do not in the cowboy action community. So, My take is do not buy one until you handle one to see what you are going to get.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
I am interested in the 94 repro in 30-30 or 38-55. I have not seen one in the flesh. Some love this brand and some do not in the cowboy action community. So, My take is do not buy one until you handle one to see what you are going to get.

Good advice & that's what has kept me from bidding on one so far,a 45-70 take down would be so cool & practical.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
There has been no response, so maybe they so new on the market that no one has bought one?

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
There has been no response, so maybe they so new on the market that no one has bought one?

Sure looks like it Frowner

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I almost purchased one of the take down 45-70’s online. The dealer was kind enough to take some photos of the top of the receiver and it was not drilled and tapped for scope mounts. There was a rail on the barrel for a scout style scope but not a fan of that set up.
Still, rifle seems like good value.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
A few criticisms:
take-down feature adds weight-at least 1 pound
of unnecessary metal.
Own 2 original 1886 Winchesters in 33 WCF, one is a takedown, the other is not.
Both magazine and barrel need a bit of length for balance, at least a 21 or 22 in barrel for balance.
It needs a good receiver sight.

Posts: 357 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Three months and no forum member with such a rifle has spoken up. Sales must be slow.

I am not a prospect as I already own and shoot multiple Winchester take down rifles from .22 to .458 and am pleased with them.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I guess these guns are just not that popular!!

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Indeed! I am sticking with Winchester.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at