Find
Notify
Tools

.50 Alaskan levergun questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted
I was considering a .50 AK conversion on a ss/lam 1895 xlr .45-70. Is it really worth it? Is it really a big step up from Garrett/Buffalo Bore loaded .45-70's? What kind of velocity can you get with 600 gr. LBT's?

Posts: 338 | Location: montana | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srshooter:
Is it really worth it?
Depends if you feel you need more destructive terminal performance and you think your shoulder can take it.
quote:
Is it really a big step up from Garrett/Buffalo Bore loaded .45-70's?
Yes.
quote:
What kind of velocity can you get with 600 gr. LBT's?
In a 24" barrel you could expect 1750 to 1800 fps with a 600 grain cast bullet.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter who'es name is on the box, the ammo will be loaded to SAMMI specs and the pressure information, load etc will be printed on the box or a disclaimer added. bewildered

Garrett list his 540 gr Hammerhead at 1550/35KCUP for Marlin Ballard rifling only. My 2006 Hornady manual list the 50 Alaskan, 22" bbl with a 525 gr bullet at 1852/34.8KCUP. Quite a difference in performance and unless you can handle that much recoil you better stay away from the 50 AK. coffee

In the case of a 45-70 compared to a 50 Alaskan...the 45-70 is a 78 gr H2O capacity case and the 59 Alaskan is a 95 gr H2O capacity case or about 18% larger which means you get about 1/4 that capacities increase in velocity at the same pressure and bullet weight. You can play with bullet weights and pressure up and down...if you know how to safely...to get different performance. The Marlin is still limited to 42 KPSI/35 KCUP at the pressure capacity end.

If you really want to do this conversion it would behoove you to do a whole passel of study outside the 'net and try to find someone close who has done it to see if you really want to subject yourself to all the variables involved.

This is not an easy or cheap conversion requiring a new barrel or a rebore minimum. You could buy you a very nice large caliber bolt gun for the cost of the conversion and be able to shoot heavier bullets at higher pressure and velocities.

There are other cheaper conversions such as the 45 Alaskan or the 450 Yukon that are more or less nothing but a rechamber of the present barrel which are quite capable of handling every beasty in North America...and THEY will slap you around MORE than enough compared to the the "pipsqueak" 45-70 in a Marlin anyway...comparitively speaking. horse

Of course you could always down load it for practice, but that takes all the fun out of having a big bore basher...doesn't it???

Big Grin'Njoy

One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks JACKFISH & FOOBAR. I have been interested in a .50 AK levergun for quite a while now. It's not that I need more power or anything like that. I feel that my .45-70's will do all I need to do, anywhere I need to do it. It's just the fun factor, having something different to shoot and show off. I have owned a few big bores and currently have a .458 Lott, .45-70, and a .375 H&H in large caliber rifles;I also have a BFR .500 S&W, a 4" S&W 500, a Ruger SRH .454,SBH .44,SRH Alaskan .44, and a Blackhawk .45 Colt for handguns. The next rifle I get will be a custom CZ 550 in .500 A2. Now that baby will have some pop! After that I may get a .50 AK levergun. I love lever actions and I think it would be cool to have a slick, quick, levergun with .458 Win Mag power (almost .458 power) and that big .510 hole in the barrel!!! thumb

I've heard different opinions on the .50 AK. Some say it's a beast, some say it's nothing to get excited about. I've been looking at Gary Reeder's website quite a bit, VERY NICE! Wild West Guns & Nonneman's are nice too. I'm also looking at the WWG 04 model in .500 S&W. There are a lot of options. Most are expensive, so I want to gather as much info as I can before shelling out the bucks. I'm sure the recoil is pretty stiff but I think I can handle that. I want it to kick me pretty good! That's half the fun with these big bores! I know I don't need it but it sure is a hell of a lot of fun!! Thanks for the info guys. BOOM

Posts: 338 | Location: montana | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
They are fun to shoot. Mine has a 26" and I can get decent velocity out of it with the big heavys. The Woodleigh 535's work well with the nose flattened.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
If you want something that is different, the 475 GNR is a 45-70 case straightened out to accept a .475" bullet. There are a lot of 50 Alaskans out there, few 475 GNRs.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote