New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 1895 conversion.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of .270 bashing, but in the real world its been super popular, because it performs great on any animall up to an including elk, its as effective as the 30-06, 308, 280 and even the 7 mag, Jack said so and Jack knew from whence he came...I have shot elk and deer with it and the results were as good as any other caliber...I no longer have one mostly because Phil told me the 30-06 is better, so be it, I have several 30-06s today..I have no use for a 405, I can through a bullet that fast, and catch it at 50 yards, its a shotgun slug in hiding!! moon

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 760 gets my attention, those pumps proved to be very good shooters and super accurate as a matter of fact, the only pump action that was ever acccurate as a rule....

IN 9.3x62 it would be the fastest to operate deadly on DG and PG,..quick to reload with the clip..Mighty fine idea..bet it kicked the liviing snot out of you with a 285 or 320 gr. bullet and max handload, but what the hell, cowboy up, put on your big boy pants ..I like the idea..... clap

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I have hunted for years with 2 brothers who hunt with a 760 in 270 Win and the other with a 740 in 30-06. Their father bought them rifles in their teens, they're in their late 60s now. They have taken a lot of elk, deer and antelope with those rifles. Pretty good rifles but not my cup of tea.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Remington 760 rebarreled to 9.3? Done that, got the T shirt. An AR member has it and kills all manner of stuff with it.
I have a 270 barrel for a Miroku 95 for sale; $90. Unfired. The ones with Metric threads.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 760s were one of the most accurate factory rifles back in the day. So accurate that they were even used by USMC rifle team. I have a friend that owns one and it sub MOA with good ammo. A very handy woods rifle for sure. Still see plenty in the PA woods during deer season.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know why I even bother, after reading Phil Shomakers post, stating he never got around to the change over to a 9.3 in his mod 95..as he has killed so many animals with the 30-06 and nary a problama, dammit so have I...every damn time I want a new wildcat the 30-06 pops up and Im back to square one, its worked for me in the NA continent as well as Africa..If I had to pick one caliber to hunt the world over it would be the 30-06 with 200 gr. Accubonds and a pocket full of solids..end of story, and Ive lost interest in this great post...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutly, the 760 were also the assination rifle of the CIA, dont tell anyone I said so, as they do not assasinate, they just ordered the guns..Ive worked on many of them and the sure do shoot good, but IMO the rattle like a golf ball in a box car..

And the have no resale so they are cheap to buy, I may have t get an early one of these days..I like that corn cob forend on the older guns.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120