Win 1895 conversion.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I love the sight set up! Potty it was not a 35 Whelen Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Lk Hntr:
I purchased this a ways back, and I still have not taken it hunting. I need to get it out and get it bloodied. It was supposedly a 270 with a rebarrel to 9.3x62. Here is a link I posted a few years back. http://forums.accuratereloadin...591084712#7591084712

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Update,
I have received my rifle,bought it new & sent it unseen to JES reboring,I was afraid that if I had it in my hands that I would change my mind to get it re-bored Smiler because the rifle in 30-06 would have been a perfect pair to my DR Beretta in 30-06.
My first impressions were pretty good,the gun comes up nicely,I will modify the buckhorn rear sight or remove it entirely,the weight is perfect for a carry rifle,the gun is impressive,I loaded up some rounds,250 grs @ 2200 fps maybe? found a public range that was still open & gave it a try,the recoil was not bad at all,the gun fits me well,I did use a slip on pad,I was not able to shoot paper but got to bounce plenty of trash laying on the range @ 50 yrds.
I was disappointed that it would not feed the 4th round,but it passed the test otherwise,I loaded to an O.A.L of 3.340 as per Speer load data,back at home,I did some playing around & got it to feed at O.A.L of 3.240.
A good thorough cleaning & I will be back at the range to test it some more,I think this gun is going to be a fine hunter & will stick around for awhile Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Good news!
So "not feeding the 4th round" was OAL related?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Good news!
So "not feeding the 4th round" was OAL related?

Yes on that,but will test it out on the range to be sure,the rifle was originally a 30-06,I checked the OAL of factory 30-06 ammo that I had on hand,it was shorter,I loaded 4 rounds,the rifle chambered all four rounds & ejected fine,so now my 35 ammo is shorter.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
Ray-
Some 25 years ago I had an 1895 in 35 Winchester with an extra non-factory barrel in 35 Whelen.
It shot original 250 gr Barnes bullets
quite well.

It disappeared into a UPS truck and went to Alaska.
Replaced by an original 1895 TD in 405 with a Lyman 21 and express sights. British proofs from India.
Gold inlays.

Posts: 351 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Mr Fuller,
You seem to have recovered quite well from the loss of your 35 Whelen.

A good 1895 .405 can be good for what ails you.
Even if that thing is, big, black, and has hooves and horns!

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
The 405 with a 325 gr well-constructed bullet like
Hawk will really make the 405 perform. My older 405 killed a nice CO bull elk in the 1970s.

Another fine option in addition to the 35 Whelen would be the 375 Ackley Improved. Now that would
be an excellent choice for a wildcat in the 1895.

Posts: 351 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I agree that making a M-95 .270 into a 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 should be a no brainer.
When I bought my 30-06 I was intending on making it a 9.3x62 but, after all the big game I have killed with the 30-06 using 200 and 220 gr Partitions, and actually measuring and comparing penetration with the 9.3. I have so far resisted the change.
Plus I still have a few boxes of the old steel jacketed 220 grain Hornady solids in case I decide I really need penetration!

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4184 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
458Win,
I like the 1895 .405 so much, that rather than change caliber, I just tried different weights and now have loads for these:
210 grain 41 caliber pistol bullets
300 grain bullets from Honady, Woodleigh, North Fork, Barnes , etc
400 grain Hornady and Woodleigh bullets at 2076 fps replicate the performance of the 450/400 and take big bovines just fine.

I like the cartridge so much that I bought this Simson - Suhl DR in .405 WCF. Though regulated with Hornady 300 grains at 2225, it also regulates my 400 grain loads ! I think it is a keeper.
Took this big red deer cow with 300 grain Barnes TSX:

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
When I was using a 405 I really like the performance of the 300 gr TSX. Had that been around when The 405 came out it would have changed the way Africans viewed lever rifle.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4184 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Very interesting info I have an original 1895 in 303brit.there is something wrong with the rifling bullets keyhole all over can this rifle be fitted with a new 405 barrel? it seems the one on it would be to thin to rebore any suggestions on what to do with it ,thanks

Posts: 10 | Location: midwest | Registered: 10 June 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil we are just AR trash!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
If you want to keep it original, slug the barrel and buy a bullet mould slightly larger than the diameter.

http://www.303british.com/id37.html Cast .303

Posts: 309 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
2barrel,
A mismatch of bullet velocity with the barrel twist can cause bullets to key hole.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 38 whelen, still do, mine is a Smith and Wesson Chiefs special, isn't eruine oops, your'un..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was to convert my Win. 95 Saddle Ring carbine to a 9.3x62 could I be referred to as cowboy trash? I hate the idea of being Euro Trash...It would be perfect for elk for me as I hesitate to dismount until I see something to shoot..at my age walking doesn't work anymore..Never did as a matter of fact.I can cover many more miles on a horse..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
If I was to convert my Win. 95 Saddle Ring carbine to a 9.3x62 could I be referred to as cowboy trash? I hate the idea of being Euro Trash...It would be perfect for elk for me as I hesitate to dismount until I see something to shoot..at my age walking doesn't work anymore..Never did as a matter of fact.I can cover many more miles on a horse..

Ok Ray errr I mean cowboy trash Smiler

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's better!! I like cowboy trash..

I have never really been satisfied with the 95, but owned a number of them over the years, like the carbines best, the grip with that horrible drop box magazine always bothered me, I know that may not be a legit problem but with me it was and since the Win mod 71 was leaner and meaner I went that route. It cloned the 30-06 and that caliber always suited me for most any situation, even shot a couple of buffalo with it early on..and it allowed me to wrap my hand around it to carry...I always intended to convert a 71 to a 416 on the IMP 348 case but never got around to it...Neither the 71 or 95 handle recoil well IMO..The 348 IMP or 375/348 IMP. sounded like buff medicine, but never happened..

Cowboy trash = 348 Win. with a proper 250 gr. bullet..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
2barrel; Yes; you can have a new 405 barrel on your 303. It's not hard. Meaning difficult; so as not to energize the heat treat people here.

Posts: 17013 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
That's better!! I like cowboy trash..

I have never really been satisfied with the 95, but owned a number of them over the years, like the carbines best, the grip with that horrible drop box magazine always bothered me, I know that may not be a legit problem but with me it was and since the Win mod 71 was leaner and meaner I went that route. It cloned the 30-06 and that caliber always suited me for most any situation, even shot a couple of buffalo with it early on..and it allowed me to wrap my hand around it to carry...I always intended to convert a 71 to a 416 on the IMP 348 case but never got around to it...Neither the 71 or 95 handle recoil well IMO..The 348 IMP or 375/348 IMP. sounded like buff medicine, but never happened..

Cowboy trash = 348 Win. with a proper 250 gr. bullet..

Hard to beat a 71, 95 or 86 in my book.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The 94 is the best lever action ever made; just get a little bit closer before you shoot. All the others are clunks of iron dating from the black powder era. Except the 95 which is good but has some aesthetic issues. Like that magazine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree the 94 of yesteryear is still the best rifle every produced..May not be suitable caliber wise for some and designed for iron sights, but nothing I can't live with and Ive shot a lot of game with the 94 and still do, both in 30-30 and 25-35..It will kill elk as well as a 375 H&H at up to 200 yards, beyond that is a little weak, depending on shot placement..Not something I read, but from using it over a fairly long period of time in my youth and up into my 20s or there about.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid in the hills NO one used a bolt action; everyone had either Win 94s or Marlin 336. Because it was right after WW2, my uncle used an M1 Carbine, but he never shot any deer anyway. The only bolt actions were Mosins and Enfields that Sears sold right through the mail, and definitely no scopes
I still have my 1960 94. And several others.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Aha!
My friend has just succeeded in loading Woodleigh 400 grain bullets to 2150+ fps in his 1895 .405. He sent chrony pix.
He used VV N133 and Federal magnum match primers and compressed the charge with a 24 inch drop tube.
Though there are no obvious signs of pressure problems, he plans to use pressure trace II to be sure before loading for higher velocity.

This is now truly up in 450/400 territory.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
This is a big deal
Lion medicine just became Buffalo medicine

quote:
Aha!
My friend has just succeeded in loading Woodleigh 400 grain bullets to 2150+ fps in his 1895 .405. He sent chrony pix.
He used VV N133 and Federal magnum match primers and compressed the charge with a 24 inch drop tube.
Though there are no obvious signs of pressure problems, he plans to use pressure trace II to be sure before loading for higher velocity.

This is now truly up in 450/400 territory.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a big deal

May boost interest in the rifle and give dpcd more business turning Winchester 1895 .270 rifles into real 1895 .405 DG rifles!

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
This is a big deal

May boost interest in the rifle and give dpcd more business turning Winchester 1895 .270 rifles into real 1895 .405 DG rifles!

The .270 versions bring more money, simply because that's what happened to so many of them.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Maybe in Texas but not around here; you can't give a 270 95 away. A 405 will sell far quicker.

One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Maybe in Texas but not around here; you can't give a 270 95 away. A 405 will sell far quicker.

I didn't say anything about selling faster.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Somehow over the years I missed out on the .270 and did not even miss it and still don't.
I shot .264 Win Mag some, .270 once, and 30-06 once, BUT chose a pre 64 M70 FWT in .308 and it worked for me and still does. I stopped hand loading my .308 years ago when Hornady brought out their Light Magnum ammo - they changed the name, but it still works for me and my .308. A 20 round box lasts a while as I rarely use more than one bullet per animal.

So, I get to spend my extra time on double rifles and fun calibers like .405 WCF and .45-90. Smiler

If something just has to be killed, my .308 is ready and waiting. Sorta like my old Model 19 .357.

So, I agree with dpcd wrt using the Winchester 1895 .270 as a donor for conversion to .405 WCF.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does 400 grain Woodlieghs so loaded affect magazine capacity?

I wonder if a 350 Barnes X bullet could be loaded to 2000-2100 without modification. I know that bullet does not exist, but 416, 350s do.

Posts: 10556 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have always understood that the magazine in the Model 1895 is not long enough to accept cartridges loaded with 400 grain bullets. How is this done? Are they seated overly deeply into the cartridge case? Doesn’t this reduce case capacity and power?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13311 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
LH500 and MR asked about magazine capacity of Win 1895 .405 with 400 grain bullet hand loads.

Gents, I can only comment on my experience and what information has been passed on to me. This relates to COL and is relevant.

1. In my Miroku Win 1895 .405, two 400 grain cartridges easily loaded into the magazine, but a third was likely too long and caused a jam. My field solution was to first load two 300 grain NF FPS at 2250 fps and then two 400 grain Woodie solids, leaving the chamber empty. When actually hunting, I loaded the chamber with a 400 grain Weldcore. This gave me 5 very effective and proven DG loads in the rifle compared to a 450/400 DR hunter with just two. As it turned out, the one Weldcore through the heart was sufficient.

2. My friend who has recently loaded and tested 400 grain Woodies at 2155+ fps chose to tinker his COL down slightly until he could get 4 Woodie solids in the magazine; I do not know the COL.

3. I do not remember anyone telling me the COL of the JudgeG 400 grain Woodleigh load that I first learned of on this forum.

Since I had personally taken water buff and other tough critters with NF bullets, I felt fine using them as my final two of five loaded cartridges.

As an aside, the only change in sighting for the 400 grain ammo was to put the front sight bead where I wanted the bullet to hit. The 300 grain load required a six o'clock hold.

Mike also says "An ounce of experience is worth a pound of theory." See my ounce above. Smiler

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. Is it not possible or practical to open up the magazine to take a full loading of the full length 400 grain rounds?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13311 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
That idea has come up over the past few years, but I am not aware of it happening. Lets ask our local 1895 knowledgeable gunsmith dpcd.

dpcd,
how much $ will you charge to modify the 1895 magazine to handle a full load of 400 grain Woodies crimped at the cannelure?

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Picture of Old Shatterhand
posted Hide Post
At the end of summer I sold my Win M71 to a friend. However I need a capable lever rifle, and have considered buying one of these new Mirokochesters 1895. As the only here available chambering is the 270 Win, the gun has to be rebarreled. In my gunsafe I have a new 338-06 barrel for Remington 700. What barrel threads do these Winchesters 1895 use? I.e. can the Remmy barrel be used? (I am aware that there is some more altering work in the lathe and with the reamer!)

The lever-action carbine is an immensely practical shooting system. It is compact, rugged and reliable, and offers quick follow-up shots when needed with just a brief flick of the wrist.

Posts: 6 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes a Remington barrel could be used. Miroku 95 threads are metric.
I won't quote work on open forum.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
I won't quote work on open forum.

I agree with that and I apologize for asking my question in that manner.
Since I am OK with the way my 1895 handles 400 grain handloads, I will leave it to others to pursue the magazine modification issues.

BTW, I do not like to list load specifics in an open forum either.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Picture of Old Shatterhand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes a Remington barrel could be used. Miroku 95 threads are metric.

Thanks for your input!

You - or somebody else - doesn´t know which metric thread it is?

Regards,
O.S.

The lever-action carbine is an immensely practical shooting system. It is compact, rugged and reliable, and offers quick follow-up shots when needed with just a brief flick of the wrist.

Posts: 6 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a levergun, but I had a Remington 760 pump rebored to 9.3X62. Quite the boomer.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2133 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote