Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 64 vs 94.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I gather that the difference is cosmetic with the 64 having a short tube?? Going to pick this up tomorrow

Posts: 6369 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone will chime in.... I think, pistol grip, longer barrel and half mag tube.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Nice 64.
The 64s had the larger stock as seen on the Models 71 and 65, thicker fore arm, 2/3 magazine, available in standard and deluxe versions and rifle and carbine model. A bolt peep sight was agailable on the .219 Zipper. Mechanically, no major differences between the 94 and 64, just keeping with the style changes of the times.
Congratulations.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a custom factory mod. 64/94 in that it was built by Win in the old days when you could buy them made to order, Savage, Win and others all had special order guns..

Mine is a 94 saddle ring carbine action, 94 saddle ring carbine stock, mod 64 24" barrel, 64 forend wood and magazine with cap..foreward of the action is 64, rearward is 94 SRC..Shoots great and feels great, one of my favorites..shows the double stamp indication it was done by Win.custom shop in Organ. Not many made but they did a few such conversions, very rare indeed.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41780 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is the same action if that is your question; differences are stock and barrel and lever.

Posts: 17059 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray.

Does that barrel have a oval circle with a P in the middle of it by the oval WP stamp ?

J Wisner

Posts: 1418 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I have a custom factory mod. 64/94 in that it was built by Win in the old days when you could buy them made to order, Savage, Win and others all had special order guns..

Mine is a 94 saddle ring carbine action, 94 saddle ring carbine stock, mod 64 24" barrel, 64 forend wood and magazine with cap..foreward of the action is 64, rearward is 95 SRC..Shoots great and feels great, one of my favorites..shows the double stamp indication it was done by Win.custom shop in Organ. Not many made but they did a few such conversions, very rare indeed.

One of my favorite rifles started life as a 1906 94 with Octagon barrel. At some point it was rebarreled with a 24" model 64 barrel. It is a joy to carry and shoot!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
To me the difference is the 94 is a straight grip stock and the 64 is a pistol grip stock. I like the feel of the 64 better, but the price tag of the 94 is lower and they are a lot easier to find.

Posts: 5693 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Been a while since I owned a 64, but they are wonderful Winchesters.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16317 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Yes it does..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41780 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"One of my favorite rifles started life as a 1906 94 with Octagon barrel. At some point it was rebarreled with a 24" model 64 barrel. It is a joy to carry and shoot!"

They really are a joy to shoot, and the lack of a barrel band at the muzzle for a full length magazine tube eliminates a potential cause of barrel stress/lowered accuracy.

I have seen many Winchesters that were rebarreled with model 64 front ends -- wood, magazine tube, forend iron and barrel. When I was actively pursuing Winchester lever guns, it seemed there must have been a period in which those parts were readily available to re-barrel rifles. I assumed they were sold off as excess parts after Winchester discontinued the model 64, and became popular for lower-cost, high-quality re-barreling.

Ray, it sounds like your barrel has the Winchester "Mail Order" Proof which was applied to barrels sent out of the factory for local replacement by gunsmiths. I have a 1907 vintage .25-20 rifle with octagon barrel, which was re-barreled in the 1930's. It also has the mail-order proof -- and an absolutely pristine bore, which is less common on old .25-20's. It came with a Lyman No. 5 "Beech" folding globe/post front sight, and using an original Lyman tang sight, it is really a great shooter! That combination produces a sight picture that's almost like shooting a scope, and head-shooting squirrels with mild cast lead loads is great sport!

All the best,
John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
You mean like this?

[url=https://postimages.org/] [/url

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2788 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cougarz: Beautiful!! Smiler

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
While the actions of the 64 and 94 were the same, many folks preferred the pistol grip of the 64 as it made it feel quicker to operate.
More of a finger and wrist flip, than having to push your arm down with a straight grip.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4189 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
While the actions of the 64 and 94 were the same, many folks preferred the pistol grip of the 64 as it made it feel quicker to operate.
More of a finger and wrist flip, than having to push your arm down with a straight grip.

Agreed.

Lots of folks actually put their fingers outside the loop on the straight grip versions when shooting.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2788 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cougarz
Dat be jest like mine!! cept I gotta saddle ring.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Yes no saddle ring on mine.

I purposely didn't show the other side of the action because at some point in its life it was drilled & tapped for a scope. The holes were later filled and an attempt to make them flush - sort of.

The rear sight was also partially ground away to clear whatever scope was on it. Also the brass bead is missing off the front sight.

So I have some work to do to get some new sights for it. Other than that it's just a shooter and can live with the rest.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

one of us
posted Hide Post
MIne was drilled and tapped for a receiver sight and it wears one now, so its not totally original as Im pretty sure it didn't come that way, but may have according to a couple of collectors I talked to about it..but of no real concern to me, since all my guns get hunted with, no closet queens at the Atkinson casa..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120