Find
Notify
Tools

1895 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chas257
posted
Has anyone picked up the 125th anniversary edition of this rifle? If so your thoughts.

Posts: 241 | Location: Lake Linden Mi | Registered: 18 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Have not seen one or a picture of one.
Does it look something like this deluxe?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chas257
posted Hide Post
Similar, listed as grade v/vi. There are a few listed on Reeds sporting goods in Walker mn. Asking around $2200.00. Might head over this weekend & check them out.

Posts: 241 | Location: Lake Linden Mi | Registered: 18 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your shopping.
Please post a picture if you get one.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nickle plated, engraved action with a 24 inch barrel in 405 Win. The one they show on their website has some pretty nice wood on it.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I didn't Notice it at first but it's also made in 30-06 and 30-40 Krag.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chas257
posted Hide Post
Will post pics if I grab it. I have one in 405 (standard grade). Looking at the 06.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish they would come back out with the 30-06 or 35 Whelen in the mod. 95 Saddle Ring Carbine..I had two of them but they got so high in price I just had to sell them. Its an addiction..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chas257
posted Hide Post
An addiction is putting it mildly Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the mod. 95 and owned a number of them off and on, but it is incredably uncomfortable to hunt with due to the shape of the action, that does not fit the hand like say a 94 71, or 86. it just doesn't..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Ray, did a bronco step on your trigger hand?

I have never had any comfort issues shooting my 1895 .405. Except maybe when testing hot 400 grain loads off a bench rest.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect his issue is with the carrying, not the actual shooting?

Posts: 453 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Peter,
You are probably correct.
Seemed that way for me a first, but after a few hunts that somehow cured itself.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Obviously they can't balance at the action in one hand; you learn to carry them another way. Certainly not as handy as a 92 or 4. Or even an 86, hogs that they are.
Or do what TR did when using them on Lions; have your gun bearer carry them.

Posts: 17006 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Indeed! Like that famous picture of F. Selous in a camp setting in that high-backed wooden chair; a buddy of mine commented, you know, some buck had to carry that chair all over Africa.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have carried mine butt under right shoulder, arm around, and the hand clasps the magazine with the fingers pointing back to me.

I have carried it one handed pointing up, two hand in every version of port arms or ready.

I have never notched the 405 1895 being awkward. Mine does have the slimmer, non traditional barrel contour.

Posts: 10547 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CR,
No but now that you mention it, I had to have my right hand reconstructed a couple of years ago, and that is part of the problem, It healed abut 75 or 80 percent, just enough to shoot and rope with and by golly that is part of the problem as it closes hard and stiff to this day..Got it caught in a dally while tied on and a 1300 pound horse and 13 year old kid on one end and my hand wrapped up in the rope in the middle, it was a damn mess!! thanks for the heads up..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I wish they would come back out with the 30-06 or 35 Whelen in the mod. 95 Saddle Ring Carbine..I had two of them but they got so high in price I just had to sell them. Its an addiction..

I bought a pair of carbines.. a 30-40 and a 30-06. I really like them and use the 30-06 a lot for deer hunting. I have never fired the 30-40, still unfired. I would love one in 35 Whelen.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Ray, did a bronco step on your trigger hand?

I have never had any comfort issues shooting my 1895 .405. Except maybe when testing hot 400 grain loads off a bench rest.

I am comfortable carrying mine also, but I generally cradle it in my left arm against my body, gripping the buttstock with my left hand on the outside of the rifle. My guess is Ray carries his right in front of the lever where the mag is with one hand? Much thicker than a 94, 71 or 86.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 35 Whelen I had was a rebored 30-06..I really liked it, recoil was a bit snappy but so was I back then..It was timber elk rifle deluxe..If I were to
to build another I think id opt for a 9.3x62 with a receiver sight..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120