THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Winchester 1895, 9.3x62,red dot sight
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 1895, 9.3x62,red dot sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Ray,
One of those tough birds that used the Judge G chamber was ME.
It worked as advertised and produced this dead critter in Africa with a 400 grain Woodie at just under 2100 fps.

You do not really NEED 2150 fps to kill a cape buff, in fact some American and European 450/400 factory ammo MV is 2050 and still kills big beasties up to and including ele. I have not taken on an ele with my 1895 .405. My ele levergun is my 1886 45-90 with .458 solids at 2100-2150 fps. Wink

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted a lot back in the day with a 86 in 45-90..It was much better than the 45-70, always wanted a 50-110 or up in a heavy 86 long barrel..

I shot a lot of buffalo with my Searcy .470 loaded to 2020 FPS with a 500 gr. Woodleigh, it was a hammer..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Mr. Shelton,

Do you have an exact dimension on how much the throat was extended on the Judge G mod?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Cougarz,
My approach was to load a 400 grain dummy Woodie Weldcore and a 400 grain Woodie solid crimped at the cannelure and instruct my gunsmith to extend the chamber so that when the action was closed on a dummy, the bullets were 20 to 25 thousandths off the rifling. This has worked well for me.
I can load two of these woodies on an empty magazine, but not a third.
my hunting configuration was to load two 300 grain NF FPS, then two 400 grain woodies, and then one Woodie Weldcore in the chamber. That worked well also.
With the 300 grain bullets striking the bulls eye with the top of the bead just under the bull, the 400 grain rounds hit dead center with the bead covering the bull. That was a pleasant surprise when practicing for the buff hunt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir for the info. Smiler

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote