THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Winchester 1895, 9.3x62,red dot sight
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 1895, 9.3x62,red dot sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The title pretty much hits all the highlights. I have visited this site for years and have enjoyed reading the knowledge and information from its members. I am over half a century old and pretty much hunt mostly elk whenever I get a chance. I thought some of you might find this topic interesting. I purchased the rifle a little ways back as seen. I did have a gunsmith inlet the swivel mount to the stock. Shooting with the original flat metal butt plate was like getting hit with a ball peen hammer. I had limbsaver add the recoil pad with a 14" LOP. Yes it is the ugliest recoil pad I have ever seen, but it works even better than their regular grind to fit pads (my favorite recoil pads). Finally, I had Wild West Guns in Las Vegas NV attach the red dot site to the bolt. I provided the "Arredondo RMR Mount Adapter (plate) and the Trijicon RMR with the 12.9 MOA Green Triangle. I got the idea from watching a gun competition with red dots on their slides. I went with this brand reflex sight because it seemed to be the most durable and uses no battery. I went with the triangle so that I could use the top tip of the triangle for better accuracy. Wild West Guns drilled and tapped the bolt for two 6-48 screws (I had trijicon send me 2 extras screws that come with the RMR), and had them also retap the Arredondo RMR Mount Adapter for the same size screw since it was initially tapped for a smaller screw. The red dot co-witnesses the iron sights perfectly like on military rifles (in case the red dot fails, iron sights can still be used). I have put about a hundred rounds thru the gun since adding the red dot and I like it.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Very nice 1895.
Do the elk like it as much as you do?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a muzzleloader the last few years, only because it is easier to draw a tag.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's a very capable tool for anywhere in the world.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
There is an American on here that lives in the Czech republic that has a similer rifle.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
very nice set up

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle,how much does she weigh & how does she shoot?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It weighs 9 lbs with the 24 inch barrel. It is more accurate than I am. With the flat metal buttpad I was afraid to shoot it after 2 shots, It literally felt like someone hit me in the shoulder with a hammer. With this new pad from limbsaver it still has a good push, but it is a joy to shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
this isn't the one that was for sale here a couple years ago is it?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know, I did get it off gunbroker a few years back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone had one like this a year or so ago, I belive it was also chrome plated and bead blasted. It sold as I recall.

I have often thought a mod. 95 SRC in 9.3x62 would be a dandy elk rifle, even purchased one last year in 30-06, but liked it so well with 220 gr. Noslers that I never got around to a rebore, then I sold it as usual!! Yeah, I know, its a character flaw. Wish Id kept it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like your idea. I considered shortening the rifle, but it balances just forward of the magazine and makes it easy to hold/carry. I still do most of my hunting on foot, so I do not want the balance shifted anymore to the rear. When I get older and hunt more on a horse than on foot, I still might shorten it. I know the horse carries the weight, but for me it is more convenient with a shorter rifle in a scabbard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice set up. Does the red dot ever change point of impact?

Posts: 282 | Location: Foothills of the Rocky's | Registered: 04 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you do not remove the sight, point of impact does not change (at least not yet). With the 2 screws holding the sight, and 2 posts upfront there is no slack at all, so I do not think it will change when removing the sight only. I will hopefully go shoot it within the next couple weeks and I will let you know. I do know if you remove the plate and reinstall, it can go back on slightly off left or right. I used a dime, gave it a couple of clicks and made sure the tip of the green triangle realigned up with the iron sights.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I am curious,what other Chamberings can you rechamber one of these guns to?

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe this rifle started as a 270, and was rebarreled. In this case 25-06, 30-06, 338-06, 35 whelen (plus other members of the whelen family), and 9.3x62 can all work if you either rebore or rebarrel. I am sure there are probably more, these are the calibers I am familiar with. I may be wrong, others with more experience will hopefully add more info. I know this does not answer to rechambering.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, these can be rebarreled to any cartridge based on the 30-06 case, and I have even converted 270s and 30-06s to .405. 9.3 is a really good idea, in any rifle.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are more pics/details on installing the red dot sight.

The plate and sight almost look like they were made to be used for this rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd,

Since you have converted 270's/30-06's to 405, do you think a 416 Ruger is doable/practical/safe? I know pretty much nothing about gunsmithing, but I am thinking no, because of the rim difference in 405 Winchester vs the 416 Ruger. The 270/30-06 length and 416 Ruger length are maybe close enough, this would be an awsome big bore levergun if it worked.

Info from other gunsmiths would be appreciated as well.

270 max pressure - 65,000 psi
416 ruger max presssure - 62,00 psi
per wikipedia

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wild West Guns in AK did a 416 Ruger on a Browning BLR. I think it was converted from the magnum action with the magnum boltface. I think the Winchester would be classier.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:

400 Whelen!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:

400 Whelen!

Now that would be a cool gun to have as well,I am presently playing with a 416/348 imp in a win 71,I am getting ballistics pretty close to the 400 Whelen,waiting on the weather to get better so I can take it back to the range,but so far good accuracy with 400 GR bullets going about 2100 fps.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Have owned almost all the original 1895 calibers
and have shot several conversions including the 35 Whelen, 375 Whelen and 411 Hawk-

Really liked the Hawk

http://z-hat.com/411-hawk/

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My man! Smiler

The best for fast situations and bush.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Now that is the gun to replace my 444 marlin and my double o/u 9.3+74r.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How I did it

Take-down

Fitted with the DocterSight II
VERY good for fast shooting... However, not suited for small game and great distance due to the 3 MOA dot.

Lk Hntr's plain style is admirable beautiful! I really respect the originality of the rig. A modern, versatile and usable rifle with but the slightest modifications.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool, I wish mine was a takedown model. Maybe the next one, LOL.

one of us
posted Hide Post
LK Hntr,
I found the new Saddle Ring carbine balanced better than the rifle version, it has a lower and upper forend stock that adds weight up front to equel or surpass that 4 inches of barrel metal that's cut off..Give one a heft at your local gun store.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Interesting project - kinda steam-punk.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, I wold not rebarrel one in 416 ruger; it is not the rim that is the problem; it is the increased back thrust; use the Internal diameter to calculate that, not the OD; that has no bearing on it. No pun intended.
Plus, not sure that large case would work in the action. I don't think it would.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LovesLevers,
If you remove the sight only and not the plate, the point of impact does not change.

Atkinson,
Good to know on the carbine, I will have to check one out.

dpcd,
Thanks for the info, I am liking Atkinson's idea of the carbine for a future project, I just have to decide on a caliber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well don't buy one in a 30-06 or you will just keep it as is! That's what I hate about the 30-06, I compared the 220 06 to the 9.3x62s 250 and just kept it in 06, bummer!!

Same with my Win. 71, its just an 06 balistically. 180 at 2600, 200 at 2600, 250 at 2300...hate that. oh well I should know by now that if you compare the 06 to anything, your on a down hill run!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Well don't buy one in a 30-06 or you will just keep it as is! That's what I hate about the 30-06, I compared the 220 06 to the 9.3x62s 250 and just kept it in 06, bummer!!

You may have point, there. I have often wondered why the 35 Whelen doesn't give much more velocity than the .30-06 with similar weight bullets.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

You may have point, there. I have often wondered why the 35 Whelen doesn't give much more velocity than the .30-06 with similar weight bullets.

Case capacity

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you gotta love the old 30-06!(at least I do)

one of us
posted Hide Post
If one wanted a MOd. 95 for shooting Cape Buffalo or even elephant, rebore one to a 10.75x68 and load 350 gr. Barnes X 40 caliber bullets to 2350 FPS or 400 gr. Woodleigh (450-400) 400 gr. bullets to 2150 FPS...Brass from Horneber at Huntingtons..It has a .423 bore (404 Jefferys bullets work)

Its a caliber I have used in Africa and one I have always been fond of..Woodleigh also makes a 347 gr. bullet bullet for the 10.75x68 , but Ive never seen the need to use them as they are too light.

It would be awesome in the Win. mod. 95..Recoil might be a tad rough for some, dunno?

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Remington 760 bored out to 9.3X62. I haven't hunted with it yet but it feeds well.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifles.

However, I still think that the best cartridge for the 1895 Winchester is the 405 WCF.
After my trip to Australia shooting their Big Buffalo with 300 gr North Fork Softs and Solids, at standard 405 pressures and velocities I would not hesitate to hunt African Cape Buffalo with it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
What NE 450 2 said + 1

Water buffalo bull take with my 1895 .405 with 300 grain NF CPS at 2250 fps.

Summary: Client at Texas exotic ranch brought his single shot 30-06 to hunt medium game and saw bull and had to have it ( more $). PH had no big bore backup and borrowed my .405 with handful of 300 grain NF; he had seen me kill a big water buff cow with same rifle and ammo and knew my rifle and ammo would do the job.
Client failed to hit right place with 30-06 so he killed the bull with .405 frontal shot that penetrated to rear of animal taking out lungs and heart along the way. Such big critters do not die easy if not shot properly.

PS the bull made a beautiful shoulder mount.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of you may recall that Judge G and someone else did some chamber work on their mod 95s in 405 so that 400 gr. bullets could be seated out and that gave them more powder capacity and the gun fed them well, and they got 2000 to 2100 FPS as I recall, and that's right up there with a 450-400-3" and that's an outstanding buffalo caliber, Ive used it a bunch and its my all time favorite buffalo caliber in a double rifle for anything that walks..

The only downside is the m-95 isn't exactly designed to handle recoil well, but we have some mighty tuff birds on this blog that seem content with any amount of recoil..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120