New
Find
Notify
Tools

Receiver Sights
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm new to leverguns, and intend to use them for Whitetail hunting with iron sights. So far, I have a Win Model 94 (1906), a Model 64, and an 1886. I could never get used to the old buckhorn rear sights, so I'm thinking of getting receiver sights. I see Williams has an adjustable rear receiver sight for $59. What say you? Any better options?

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
There are several options available- you can find them with an Internet search on aperture sights.

I have receiver sights on my Winchester Model 1892 .357 and Miroku /Winchester 1895 .405 TD. Both work well and appropriate for the rifles.

On my Miroku/Winchester 1886 .45-90 TD, I have Marbles folding barrel sight and folding tang sight. This combo works well for close up work and long range work.

You may determine which is best for you based on the rifle and intended use.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
There are several options available- you can find them with an Internet search on aperture sights.

I have receiver sights on my Winchester Model 1892 .357 and Miroku /Winchester 1895 .405 TD. Both work well and appropriate for the rifles.

On my Miroku/Winchester 1886 .45-90 TD, I have Marbles folding barrel sight and folding tang sight. This combo works well for close up work and long range work.

You may determine which is best for you based on the rifle and intended use.

CR,
The tang site on your 1886 45-90,does it interfere with your hand ? especially with heavy loads? I have the same rifle as you,I have been using a red dot sight on mine with a Turnbull mount.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been using a red dot sight on mine

Boo, hiss!!! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Bill73,
Not really, but maybe that is because I lay my thumb down along the right side of the grip and not over the grip. Wink
Please note that in the above pix, the full rifle pic was taken before the folding barrel sight was installed and before the forward end of the comb was cut/sanded back to allow the tang sight to fold fully back into the lock position.

Even with heavy loads(450 grain bullet at 2150 fps), the rifle is well behaved. It rotates up a bit, but shooting with both eyes open,the target stays in view.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
I have been using a red dot sight on mine

Boo, hiss!!! :-)

Strange reaction from a Blaser guy ha ha Big Grin

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Bill73,
Not really, but maybe that is because I lay my thumb down along the right side of the grip and not over the grip. Wink
Please note that in the above pix, the full rifle pic was taken before the folding barrel sight was installed and before the forward end of the comb was cut/sanded back to allow the tang sight to fold fully back into the lock position.

Even with heavy loads(450 grain bullet at 2150 fps), the rifle is well behaved. It rotates up a bit, but shooting with both eyes open,the target stays in view.

Man I wish I had load data for that 450gr load Big Grin

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man I wish I had load data for that 450gr load

Me too!
Grizzly cartridge loaded those .45-90 rounds for our African bullet testing trip.

BTW, he does sell .45-70 DG ammo too- 400 grain brass Punch bullets at 2050 fps. Those will shoot clean through an ele head on a frontal brain shot.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have a Williams receiver peep on my Model 95. Not the best looking sight so very it is aluminium, but it holds zero and works well.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3814 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Here is an old thread that I posted the sight I have on my M94:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...061095991#5061095991

I've never gotten around to putting a tritium insert in teh front sight but I'm quite happy the way it is. The Williams base is now on this link:

https://www.brownells.com/rifl...1=williams+gun+sight

I find this setup to be noticeably faster than a standard receiver sight arrangement as you pretty much have an open sight picture while your gun is coming up and your eye will transition well.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the old all steel Lyman or Redfield receiver sights if the rifle is drilled for them. The old tang sights are nice, again if the rifle is drilled for them. The only problem with these is that they can be expensive. To my old eyes the new sights just don't look as nice as the old ones.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with the Williams Receiver sight, Ive used them for years and keep a couple on hand for Winchesters and Savage.That said my favorite iron sight is a lyman tang sight. I buy mine from Buffalo Arms co., www.BUFFALOARMS.COM..FOR wIN 94, 92, 86S AND mARLINS..fOR THE wIN. MOD 95, ALTHOUGH I have a Williams on mine presently, I intend to get a mod 1895 Lyman 21 type receiver sight. they sure are nice but expensive at $139.68 from Buffalo Arms Co. They were popular on the old Winchesters back in the day. work on 92s, 94s, 95s and 1886s, Marlins also.. Buffalo Arms has a catalog that's awesome. Call them and get one 208-263-6953, good folks..BTW the mod 21 isn't so close to the eye like a tang sight, that can stick you in the eye if your careless, seen it come close but missed the eyeball itself on one occasion, nasty wound..I have tang sight on my 25-35 mod. 94 and improved its groups by a full one inch on average, sometimes more.
Ray

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

I think I still have a ghost ring from one of the 1886’s I sold off. I prefer them to any other type of aperture sight. I think I also have a yellow (true glo type) front sight that really makes it a lot easier for older eyes. Let me know if you want them and I’ll dig them out.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I went on line to Ebay and found Redfield receiver sights for my lever guns. The Redfield sights are steel, well made and you find almost new ones.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I like the principle of aperture sights, not so much how many are attached.

I find the Marble's tang sight on my M86 gets in the way and can be bumped over by my glasses; the Lyman 66 receiver sight on my .375 Winchester had the cross-arm bent down in a fall.

So, I like those that sit right on top of the receiver and wonder if one on the breech-block might be nearly as good

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with Williams sights. I especially like the ones with the click adjustment. But they are aluminum if that matters to you. Honestly I at least have never seen a Williams break unless it was horribly mistreated which would likely destroy any brand.

The Redfield and Lyman's are more traditional and made of steel so they look prettier and theoretically are more robust but the cost goes up along with that.

I have an XS sight on my Marlin 1895 GBL guide gun, while it looks nice I don't really like the not too precise elevation adjustment. So I've been thinking about swapping it out for a Williams.

Bottom line is they all make good sights, you just need to decide on which features are most important to you. Smiler

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They all have pros and cons..The tang sight if close to the eye thus faster on game and accurate as can be, but if you shoot uphill it can poke you in the eye..so be aware..Never had the problem with my 30-30 or 25-35 due to lack of recoil...but on a early gun that you don't want to drill and tap, its your best bet..

On a later gun I likek the Williams because it takes a screw driver to move the adjustments and curious hands can't mess with it and ruin a hunt...On the REdfields and Marbles of yesteryear cost is out of control and if you get one be sure it has the button to remove the slide otherwise it will take a week to unscrew that puppy! Wink

As to the Ghost Sight, any receiver or peep can be a Ghost sight by simply removing the thingie that you look through giving you a larger hole..I never use the thingie, have a box full of them..

ON a bolt action or any rifle that has Talley scope bases Talley makes a neat QD peep sight. Another company produces a peep thats named Little Bow Peep and it has flip down peep sight that work on Weaver, Redfield, Leupold, and many others..They were made by one of the scope companys. Not sure which maybe by Redfield some many years past.I have half a dozen of them on hand...They show up at gun shows and on GI and GA from time to time and Terry Miller Guns in Filer has some Im thinking..

So any gun your have can be fitted up with a peep if you shop around...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad had a Marlin peep sight installed on his Marlin 30-30. The gun was stolen out of his pickup. Over a year later I found his rifle in a pawn shop. That Lyman peep sight was highly in part as to how I recognized it.

I have Williams peep on an air rifle and have used it extensively for years, no problems.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
A little update; I bought a Williams receiver sight for my Winchester 94 Ranger that I keep as a camp/truck gun. The open sights have grown fur around the edges as I've grown older! old

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I D+T' ed a Redfield match on my 39 Marlin back in the 70's.A real tack driver.I replaced it with a scope several years ago as peeps don't work so well these days.But it was a beautiful sight picture.That being said,I never sell all my old peep sights + I've got a box full;who knows, one day I might see again like an 18 year old.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOrm,
first of all get a new set of glasses, they can correct that, best to talk to a doc that shoots.

They can also attach a little magnifier to your glass that flips down and up. it will clear up your sight picture..I see them on old professional pistol shooters glasses..even on the young guys glasses...

You blind guys have options..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
I really like how the factory M64 peep sight mounts and looks. Might be a bit pricey!

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic of the Talley QD peep that Ray spoke of:

It is mounted on the rear rib of my Simson .405 DR.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at