Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 1895 Carbine
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Col K
posted
I recently found a Model 1895 Winchester Carbine in 30 Army at a local shop. The wood shows wear and quite a few nicks with a small sliver missing beside the tang. The receiver retains much of the original blue while the barrell retains no more than 30%. The serial number is four digits (made 1897). Can anyone help with places to search for historical data on the gun. Can anyone comment on what shape these guns are usually found in? I know what the book value might be but does anyone have an idea what folks are actually paying over-the-counter for these? Thanks.

Posts: 350 | Location: GA by way of PA, OH, KY, TX, VA, and NC | Registered: 10 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like the gun buy it.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
if your local library can order you a book, or if you want to buy it at a local bookstore, try this one. "Winchester An American Legend" by R.L. Wilson. It has a lot of good info about the model 1895, as well as all winchesters.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old Win. m-95 carbines are bringing a premium price these days..Check out the Gun Digest for values, they always have a number of them for sale..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course if a fella wants a shooter (and can abide a tang safety) there was a recent run of repro carbines in either 30 Govt or 30'06 that seem to be running ~1300 USD

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
They are nice shooters-- I got a pair in 30-06 and a 30-40.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the reproductions. The Mikoru workmanship is excellent for fit/finish.

I got the rifle takedown version (.30-06) and then had it cut down to carbine length, added a peep sight, recoil pad and sling swivels.

Balance is good, weight isn't too bad.

The 1895 is unusual, and some fellow hunters see it and ask if it's a .30-30. Nope...

.30-06 Springfield: 100 yrs + and still going strong

Posts: 29 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: 06 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a carbine in 30 40 also. Mines hammered, no bluing,stock been there. I've been offered $1200 for it. Mines a late one, 1917

1897 is early for the krag, I'd guess a 4 digit # is going to bring a pretty good $.

Whats the guy asking for it.

I don't approve of political jokes...I've seen way too many of them get elected!

Posts: 133 | Location: Pa\Nj | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the old 95 carbines and the 30-40 with 220 gr. bullets was a sure killer of deer and elk..made a really nice saddle gun if you could shoot iron sights..The 06 is just MORE of the same thing and probably the better option for a hunting rifle...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Ray, what bullet would you use in 220 grains?

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buckeye, in .30 caliber think of Remington Core Lokt as #1 and a Hornady Interlock as #2 for these uses and speeds.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote