Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted

more details here

http://forums.accuratereloadin...3411043/m/8991055522

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10053 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A dream hunt sir.

Posts: 10755 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
A dream hunt sir.
Totally agree. tu2

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good on ya, I love lever action Winchesters, Brownings BLR, but my go to lever rifles are a Savage 99EG in a .308 or 250 Savage..or my 1899 250 take down..I just swapped off my BLR fwt. in .270 and it was an incredibly accurate rifle..

Yes sir I love the lever guns.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can be done hehe

Winchester m/1895 in 8,2x53R a long time ago....

Same gun, heavily customised some years later... (LOVE the Elmer hat for which I was known for years. Alas, orange color is nowadays required.)

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've killed enough elk with a 25-35 and 30-30 to know I could kill a moose with it..just gotta get real close..Most of the Moose Ive shot were pretty close in thick stuff. thinking back I believe the longest shot on Moose Ive taken was about 200 yards..Used a .338 Win. ONe thing I believe about moose is caliber makes little difference, they have no nervous system and they just die when they get ready..Ive seen them continue to graze after a double lung shot.!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the Win 71 in the original 348 is The classic choice. 1 shot with the plane jane 200 grain Hornady and IMR 4451. Pole-axed at 125 yardsfrom the Freighter canoe.

Posts: 111 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 13 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Balistically the .348 is a 30-06 with a big case and a rim..It shoots equal weight bullets at almost the same velocity, but with a slightly larger cross section of bullet...Win. designed the mod. 71 to be the lever competition to the 30-06 for your information..And the old 06 certainly will kill a moose..I think at close range the .348 would technically have just a slight edge over the 06..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Moose with lever. Maybe not what most people think of for a lever gun, but it works just fine.

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Brent,

Details man, details...where was that and what is that rifle?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10053 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The moose was shot on the Yukon Delta about 150 miles north of Bethel. I used an original Ballard Pacific (aka #5) in .45-70. It was made in the late 1870s. It may have been a true "buffalo rifle" but I don't have any documentation to that effect.

It is an all-original rifle. The load was 68 grs of Swiss 1.5 fg (or was that 3 f? I'm blanking on that now, but it's in my books). Shot was about 80 yds standing (both of us) - but I used a handy tree trunk for a rest.

Sorry the pic is so big. It looked normal when I previewed it. I'll try to fix that.

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Geez, Brent, you also have No. 5?!! That's my favorite Ballard of all time.

beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16346 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is my favorite too. And about the only sporting cartridge rifle from that era that is Affordable and in hunting condition.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't be all bad if it's in 45-70 ! Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot a few water buffalo and camels with a Winchester thirty-thirty. Choose heavy bullets and keep the barrel warm. Wouldn't hesitate on a moose.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love that old single shot..and I like the 30-30. Ive killed a few elk with the 30-30..For those that condem its use for elk, I tell them my 30-30 at a 100 yards equals a 30-06 at 200 or so yards. I do get some funny looks! tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife's brother used to say that a 30-30 was all a man needed in the Maine woods.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14361 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Best calibre for....... is often discussed over the campfire or in the cabin over a glass of ........,It's part of the game that we love.I would'nt have it any other way.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't ask me why but I get elated when I kill and elk with a 25-35 or 30-30, mostly because it requires a challanging hunt, not just a shot. Maybe the long range shooters get that same feeling, don't know and never will..I love to hunt too much to take up long range shooting. Not condemning those long range shooter than can shoot, but too many of them don't shoot all that well according to what Ive witnessed.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is all about the tradition for me. To have done something that had been a century earlier with the same rifle, or one just like it, that's what it is all about. That includes having to hunt close, but mostly it's just about hunting with limitations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surely no problem with the right caliber. I used my rebarelled BLR (.375 Ruger) to kill a cape buffalo in Zimbabwe in 2012. First time done with a BLR in the whole continent, to my knowledge.