THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Shoulder Shot Or Lung Shot On Black Bear Using 45-70?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shoulder Shot Or Lung Shot On Black Bear Using 45-70?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buffhunter, actually the difference is your bullets onviously didnt work well and his did

It wasn't the bullets fault.

When you don't place the bullet in the right place it does not matter what bullet it is.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
The absolute main thing IS......after the first shot, immediately prepare to follow up with another until the bear is down. This means down for good, not flopping around.
Regardless, the most common scenario, first shot, bear partially down. Hunter watches squirming bear, doesn't shoot....doesn't shoot. Hunter, with mouth wide open, watches bear run away. See bear run & gone.

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

I feel the same for the 45-70, its a short range caliber, and dependent on proper bullets and proper placement..

Any caliber works if used properly..but there is no room for mistakes with a light for animal caliber within reason.

Virtually EVERY caliber is dependent on bullets and placement. However, larger calibers do offer more margin for error by virtue of their diameter. I wouldn't hesitate to use a .45/70 - properly loaded - on any game animal. I exclusively hunt with handguns at way more subdued paper ballistics than typical .45/70 loadings and have killed large animals to include Cape buffalo and have not found them lacking in terminal effectiveness. It's all about the bullet and placement.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tradmark:
Buffhunter, actually the difference is your bullets onviously didnt work well and his did. Use the right bullets for the job and the 45/70 will do everything thats asked of it. Ive killed waterbuff, 2 capebuff, eland and over 20 other african animals. So far 24 large bovines over 1000lbs with expandables like the swift aframe and barnes xbp. They were from a revolver and none except the 460 smith even approach 45/70 loads. Go ahead and stick to the little flatpoint cast bullets but you will continue to lose game at times. Just get some barnes or swift aframes and go kill anything i listed above definitively, let alone a little black bear. Ive already killed several black bear with revolvers and had none run whatsoever. 45/70 is just more of a good thing. It’s in the bullet, period. Best example of this is my buddies bison he shot with a 50bmg bullet. Never opened and the herd closed in around the wounded animal and it lived for over 15 minutes. Its not the ME its the bullet doing damage.

VERY WELL SAID!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping to do my first bearhunt next year.

The advice an experienced Alberta hunting friend gave me seems worth repeating. "If it's got teeth and is willing to use them: break bone"

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, what an enlightenment, Ive learned the 45-70 is a better killer of game than the 375 H&H...NOT

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I shoot point of shoulder and try to break both with an exit. The bullet selection is important. I shoot the 350 grain hornady roundnose. This was designed for use in the 458 wm also, so a much heavier jacket the n the remington 405. I have taken 4 blacks with the 45/70. These days, I have a 50 alaskan lever action and the old 45/70 has been replaced. The 50 is much more effective.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote