New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin Texan
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While Winchester 94’s are great rifles, I have always taken favor with Marlins, especially straight grip versions known as the Texan model. The 30-30 version is most common and I’ve got two already. I finally found and purchased a 35 Remington version. Haven’t received it yet, but it’s a pre-safety model. You don’t see these as often and I was delighted to pay up. It comes with a Lyman 66 receiver sight.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's not a bad looking rifle. I'm partial to Win 94's. On the regular 336's the forearm wood is way too fat. The buttstock not so much, but still some. If Marlin could have designed out that lever hinge it would be a really sleek rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle you have there. Indeed the Texans were never as popular but they do look good. tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:
That's not a bad looking rifle. I'm partial to Win 94's. On the regular 336's the forearm wood is way too fat. The buttstock not so much, but still some. If Marlin could have designed out that lever hinge it would be a really sleek rifle.

I agree the slimmer forearm looks much better. I’ve seen some Marlins with the “fat” forearm that looks awful to me. I’ve got a M39 Marlin that has a large forearm. Would love to trim it down but don’t want to hurt it’s value.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:

Maybe buy a spare forearm and shape it like you like????

I agree the slimmer forearm looks much better. I’ve seen some Marlins with the “fat” forearm that looks awful to me. I’ve got a M39 Marlin that has a large forearm. Would love to trim it down but don’t want to hurt it’s value.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dang. I think these were offered in the Herter's catalog by mail circa late 1960s. I was tempted!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, I like the straight grip rifles, just fit me very well.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id like to find a Marlin Texan in 30-30 or 35 REm.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well here's the good news. Ruger won the bid and has no plans to change the rifle. Read it here:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...ive-lever-gun-ruger/