THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Good bullets and peep sight for a marlin 44 mag ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good bullets and peep sight for a marlin 44 mag ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does any one make a decent pinking bullet that won't led the bore of my marlin 94 44 mag ?
And a good peep that fits the tapped holes in the top ? Thanks tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out www.skinnersights.com for a great selection of high quality, American-made peep sights that will fit your Marlin perfectly.

steve nelson

Posts: 148 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
TJ,

Are you looking for ammo or just the bullets to load on your own?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just bullets thanks,
Few of my rifles ever see factory ammo...tj3006

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That skinner for the 1894 Marlin looks great,
Fairly simple and not a huge chunk of metal like some are.
Alot cheaper than the XO to. It will be a few weeks before i get my Rifle , but thanks for the help...tj3006

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I like the Williams or lyman peep sights but my gun is pre 1984 and was factory drilled for a peep. You can get a Williams top mount these days. The skinners work great, I just find them ugly.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the Williams sight,
I did not see any thing that did not seem really bulky...tj3006

one of us
posted Hide Post
Skinner is a fine sight, but its expensive I'm thinking..

A Williams receiver sight is a great sight, and the adjustments are kid and idiot proof, very important..Also don't belives the crap about it being aluminum and not strong like steel, whoever came up with that yellow journalism simply went overboard..I've had a couple on two of my rifles, one for over 40 years and the other for about 10 years I guess and no problem.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked again at the williams web page , and there is a sight there i like. I do not care for the big block on the side,
They do make a smaller one that mounts on top.
It looks like one i could use but not sure how the adjustments work.
I will likely work up two loads, one with a 200 grain hollow point, and one with a 240 grain soft.
Not sure how much adjustment i will need. i get the rifle in about a month,
I might choose a better buckhorn style such as
a marbles...tj3006

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any 240 grain SWC will work with a charge of Traill Boss.It will not lead your barrel and is a fun plinking round.Loading info on the Hodgdon reloading site.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The determining factor on top or side mount for me is the year of manufacture of the gun. The newer ones are not drilled from the factory for a peep, thus, the top mount is the one to use. If the gun is side drilled, the I like the side attached sight.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by simangus:
Check out www.skinnersights.com for a great selection of high quality, American-made peep sights that will fit your Marlin perfectly.

I agree, check out a Skinner site. I have one on my 1894 Marlin CB in 45LC. Very nice site, and you can get them now with "ears" to protect the aperture. I've used it for deer hunting in the past, and it worked out well.

the only negative I can think of is that you need that tiny little easy to lose allen wrench to losten the set screws so you can make adjustments..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1959 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always favored the LYman #2 tang sight on 94s and 36s (Win and Marlins) its close to the eye and fast and accurate as a scope up to 150 or so yards..Brownells has them listed for about $100 plus bucks.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like those sights ,
But not really for this rifle. I want somthing very rugged and dependable, as well as fast, ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got my rifle ,
Last weekend , loaded up some 250 grain sierra match bullets i had on hand.
I took the rifle down and did some stoning on the friction points and its smooth now.
Feeding is not perfect yet with my loads but its probably 95 % , and do not expect it to be a problem.
Have not picked a peep yet but thinking either the skinner or the Williams wdgn or whatever its called , its about 20 bucks cheaper and i think either will work fine. The skinner looks very rugged to me...tj3006

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
The Skinner sight is the one I will mount on my 1895.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I decided to get the xs ghost ring set with white ramp front for may marlin, will order on friday...
...tj3006