THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Marlin 375 Winchester… still viable?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 375 Winchester… still viable?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’ve got a Marlin Texan that was originally a 30-30. Some time ago I had it rebored to .375 Winchester and used it with cast bullets exclusively. In retrospect, I probably should have had it rebored to .38-55 as it seems to be more popular among the lever gun crowd. Anyway… I had actually forgotten about it and use my other Marlins much more (30-30, 35 REM and 45-70). Now I’m wondering if there is a market for it since you don’t see many 375’s much.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Sure there's a market for a .375 Win. If you look around at places like the Marlin owners forum you will find many who would love to have it.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok…I listed it here and on a local trade/sell site.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I assume you want to keep it, though, in which case it doesn't matter what others want.

To just sell it would probably not get back what you've invested in it.

I understand Winchester still make ammo occasionally. If the action is as strong as the Winchester 'Big Bore 94' one, you should be able to load it a bit stiffer than the nominal reloads for the .38-55. If not, then imagine you've got a .38-55 with a tight bore, needing .375" bullets.

The Winchester .375 calibre and rifle made an interesting case of double think. They warned against firing .38-55 ammo in it but made the chamber longish and probably thought the action would be strong enough to withstand the pressure from lighter factory loads with the fatter bullets in case any idiot tried it. On the other hand, if some other desperado fired .375 Win ammo in a .38-55, I guess they thought the smaller-diameter bullet would give some grace.

That logic may not apply to a rifle originally made just for the .30-30.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The .375 Win is a great lever round. Better than 38-55 because it is the .375 bore and jacketed bullets are easier to find. I have used 375 win brass in my winchester 94 (japanese made) when I could not find the short 38-55 cases. My rifle has a .375 bore so I am guessing you could use 375 ammo in it also. This might not be true for antique 94's in 38-55.
It will sell at a high price in a state like mine (ohio) where only straight wall rifle cartridges are legal for deer hunting. There are several other midwest states where this would also be true. Depending on condition, I am positive you could sell it for over $800.00 here if it is JM marked and converted well.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 375 win is one of the most underrated cartridges ever .It has little recoil .I used my big bore 94 which is way stronger to load 220 gr to 2400 fps and the 300 gr to almost 2000 fps .It has lots of knockdown power to 100 yards for moose and bears .I really like that round .I make my own bullets these days and the brass is at Starline now .

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed, the 375 is a great cartridge. Very underrated!

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
I’ve got a Marlin Texan that was originally a 30-30. Some time ago I had it rebored to .375 Winchester and used it with cast bullets exclusively. In retrospect, I probably should have had it rebored to .38-55 as it seems to be more popular among the lever gun crowd. Anyway… I had actually forgotten about it and use my other Marlins much more (30-30, 35 REM and 45-70). Now I’m wondering if there is a market for it since you don’t see many 375’s much.

I converted a Browning 1895 from 30-06 t0 375 Whelen for the sole purpose of shooting cast bullets exclusively. It's fun and satisfying to 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards with home made bullets.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote