THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    The "Old Girls" are 100years old!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "Old Girls" are 100years old!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted
Just checking some rifle serial numbers against the Winchester 'Dates of manufacture' and find that I have two model 1892's Serial Nos. 902xxx and 909xxx both made in 1920

In 25/20 and 38/40 it feels good to keep shooting them!

https://winchestercollector.org/dates/

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
If they are well made and well cared for, they just keep banging away.

My 1892 was made around 1907 and my Parker 20 ga in 1900. They both work well.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a 92 that qualifies. It’s not a bad policy to keep the guns over 100 and the girlfriends under 30.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What makes you think they are girls?

Posts: 17103 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve often thought that myself.

Maybe it’s because they are loved so much it wouldn’t be right if they were men and you loved them that much... just thinking out loud.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They are all machines to me. No gender. Not animate. Steel and wood.
No anthropomorphizing; which means place human attributes to inanimate objects. Don't do it.

Posts: 17103 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said.... Amen to that.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My grandads Texas ranger guns,and I ownthem, area Win. 92 ser. #178 feeds and shoots 2.5 inches at 100..His 30-30 trapper saddle ring 30-30, ser. #2124, bore like a tramp steamers pipes, but shoots and inch or better for 3 shots at 100 every time, usually better..I was going to give them to the Texas Ranger Hall of fame in Waco, but nix on that the assholes are trying to dismantle the Ranger Service..They trashed the ranger statue in Dallas, the flag in another town along with the statue of General Lee...They want equality so they defy history as if it non existant, right or wrong it happened...The kids get the guns, badge and spurs as I fear some black racist with a mask will burn them in the streets of Austin..sorry but its just getting to be too damn much..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray Atkinson, do you know where Salk Street is in Twin Falls? Probably don't have one, in fact do you know of a Salk Street anywhere? I don't. Dr Jonas Salk cured polio. This disease crippled kids of all races. No streets named after him yet Martin Luther King said "I have a dream", and it's all but required that every town has a street name after him to be politically correct. Now I ask you which was more important? If he had imagination he would have said, "I had a wet dream" and that would draw much more interest.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Yes there are several Salk streets, just look them up.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cougarz--Not to flame. I googled Salk Street and came up with vaping supplies. Many cities may have a Salk Street, but I have never seen one.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Go back into your rat hole Carpetbagger. You will fit in with other of the Communists useful folks. Packy.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Cougarz--Not to flame. I googled Salk Street and came up with vaping supplies. Many cities may have a Salk Street, but I have never seen one.

No flame taken. I Googled it simply out of curiosity. I found a few. But who knows the origins of the name in those locations.

Realistically researchers and scientists rarely get the recognition outside their own profession they deserve.

Back to the original topic, it would be nice to see some photos of some these fine old rifles. Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Packratass--Yes, thinking Dr Salk made a more important contribution is very communistic.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Don't worry Carpetman, packy is likely drunk or off his meds again. jumping

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

one of us
posted Hide Post
These pair of consecequetive 4 digiy serial numbers from 1892 in 38/40

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Nice, thanks for posting the pics.

What kind of style butt plate and how long are the barrels?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

one of us
posted Hide Post
These were special order for the State prison service. They have carbine buttplates and 3/4 magazines (to hold 6 rounds) and the barrels are 20".

I managed to buy another one with a full magazine and 20" barrel but made in 1919.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Pretty cool pair to have!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that the QLD state prison service mate? And do you know when they were sold off or when the prisons stopped using them?

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wonder why they specified six-round magazines.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was not a race issue other than they made it a race issue as you are also doing, it condemmed the city fathers that removed historic monuments from our history, they went with the fear of having cities torn down by demanding the removal of those monuments at the risk of destruction and breaking the law ,and that caused the removal of Texas History....

Had nothing to do with your post and the "good people of any race".....I cannot abide by such threats from those individuals burning our streets, stealing everything they can get their hands on. If you have chosen to be their protectors get you replys right, your assumptions are wrong and without merit, and you obviously can't read, or have an agenda...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Back on point of the thread. I too, have some firearms that are over 100 years old and still going strong. Damn, that's a satisfying feeling shooting them! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
Is that the QLD state prison service mate? And do you know when they were sold off or when the prisons stopped using them?

They were sold off in 1988 via tender. There were 7 lever guns, and some SMLE's conplete with bayonets with hooked quillions.
I have three of the lever guns and just couldn't afford any others at the time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote