Find
Notify
Tools

Shorty's 1895 Winchester..
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Gun show over the weekend I found an interesting rifle. Looked like it was made into a saddle carbine at one point..until I noticed the stock was cut to 11.5" LoP. Now I needed to know more...

2 rifles were traded to the gun dealer from a South Texas rancher. One gun was this 1913 Winchester 1895 in .30 U.S. and the other was an extremely worn and beat Winchester 1894 in .30-30 (1903 year iirc).

I asked about the 1895 and he said the rancher had the gun modified for one of his ranch hands. Guessing the ranch hand was a good hand and had worked on the ranch for a long time. He said the ranch hands name was "Shorty" and was 4ft 9in tall. Now I am thinking of the character Mordecai (from Clint Eastwoods "High Plains Drifter"). Oh how I'd love to speak to Shorty about all of the things that this rifle had been used on. How many years this was his partner on the saddle and later in the truck perhaps.

So the story sold me on it. Its got a good barrel and pretty clean action. Replacement wood is available but I kinda like the story.

Shorty = 4'9" tall
Rifle = 36" Long. 17.5" barrel / 11.5" LoP

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
sounds like a good saddle gun and good story.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Eager to hear how Shorty's rifle shoots.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote