THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    What is involved? Browning 1895 .30-06 to .405 WCF
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is involved? Browning 1895 .30-06 to .405 WCF
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I have been offered a Browning 1895 in .30-06 for a good price. I already have one rebarreled to .35 Whelen, but would like one in .405 WCF. Besides a new barrel, what would be involved in the conversion?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy it, then trade it for a browning 1895 in 30-40 Kraig. I believe converting from there is easier than with the ‘06, and may just entail a barrel swap. I would shoot DPCD a PM, as he knows absolutely for sure.
Good luck!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, you can have the ‘06 converted to 400 Whelen and have the ability to shoot both 405 win and 450-400 Nitro equivalent loads. DPCD can do anything you want done to an 1895, but I hear he is quite backlogged with work right now. You may just be drawn to the legend/allure of having a 405, and there’s nothing wrong with that, but ‘06 brass is always plentiful. DPCD supplies the die needed to make 400 Whelen brass from ‘06, and qualcart makes properly head stamped brass. I’m not a very good salesman, but I hope I’ve supplied you with some good info, whatever you decide.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn’t realize whom I was talking to. You probably knew all of the info about the 400 Whelen!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Why not just buy a new or used 1895 .405 WCF and skip all the messing around.
Just buy it and go shooting.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, Matt is a good salesman for sure.
Just have to open up the bolt face for a 405; not for a 400 if you start with a 30-06 or 270. Not with a 30-40, as Matt said.
Messing around is the crux of all things custom. Anyone can buy one off the rack. And some don't mind that the barrel contour of the factory 405 is not like an original. But it bugs me for some reason.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote