New
Find
Notify
Tools

1886 winchesters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
An old customer of mine told me he had 7 model 1886s that he may want to sell. I don't know any information as to caliber or actual age condition etc. I have some experience with 73 s 92 and 94s but very little with the 1886s.. any info on this model on gunbroker the prices are all over the place from $500 to 10k, any info would be appreciated I hope to see the rifles in a few days Thanks

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Winchester Arms Collectors group can be very helpful
Jim

winchestercollector.org

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There have been more recent iterations of the 1886 made by Browning and Winchester, not counting the Italian firms. The originals are another matter, and require expert guidance.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Once you've had a chance to establish the price, I know we all would love to see some pictures.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Once you've had a chance to establish the price, I know we all would love to see some pictures.

archer
Bingo

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys I am going to his place tomorrow afternoon fingers crossed

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I got to see some fine original old rifles mostly older chamberings such as 40-70 ,38-65 and several others that i do not remember. He would not allow pictures ,they were way out of my price range this was an education for me. He has collected for 60 yrs and shot deer with all of them. Also had 2 405s that were pretty slick Interesting old guy, But these were Safari prices And I want to go again. Thanks for entertaining my ramblings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with caution, its a tricky, slippery road when it comes to valuable OLD rifles..These are very desirable guns so condition is everything and anybody can buy a gun, buying one right is the problem, most folks overvalue their guns unless they buy and sell a lot of them. If his prices are over your head, that's no shame, its time to turn and run, its so easy to get burned, even for the experts, its part of the game.. old

When he said no pictures, I would have walked out, but that's just me..There is always another good deal down the road..

NOt being negative just passing own what Ive experienced over the years for what its worth.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
He does not really want to sell them. Not a "motivated" seller, as they say.
Wait for the estate auction.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
While an original are prized, I'm happy with my Pedersoli in 45/70.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
BAW,
Nice looking rifle.
Bet it is hard on pigs and big stuff!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that had 2 of the Brownings (cons, serial #s) one was fully engraved, that I had to sell for him when he got a 2nd DWI + couldn't own any guns anymore.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
He does not really want to sell them. Not a "motivated" seller, as they say.
Wait for the estate auction.

For sure

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your gonna hunt with them, the new ones are pretty darn good...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
If your gonna hunt with them, the new ones are pretty darn good...

That has been the case for me and a few friends that hunt with the Miroku made 1886.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the new ones have a lot to offer and you won't be fearful to take out and hunt or just have fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A neighbor brought his Pedersoli 1886 over the other day, and I was really impressed. Beautiful rifle that shot extremely well and functioned flawlessly. I had a Miroku '86 a couple of years ago that this Pedersoli put to shame all the way around.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
A neighbor brought his Pedersoli 1886 over the other day, and I was really impressed. Beautiful rifle that shot extremely well and functioned flawlessly. I had a Miroku '86 a couple of years ago that this Pedersoli put to shame all the way around.

Sharpsguy,

Would you mind explaining this a bit more? how was the Pedersoli more impressive? I am curious,because the early ones had such bad reviews.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
Have a few 1886 later smokeless rifles in 33 WCF and 45-70. The 33 WCF was the same caliber carried by Ben Lilly in AZ-NM in the last grizzlies killed in those states. The 33 was quite popular in Alaska due to
the flat trajectory and 2300 FPS with a 200 gr bullet.
The 348 WCF is a continuation of that idea in the
first class 1886/71 action. They are virtually indestructible and were carried all over the northern US, Canada and Alaska. With Swift, Woodleigh, North Fork or Alaska Bullet Works bullets-the M-71 or 1886 is in a class by itself.

Posts: 353 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first three runs of Miroku 1886 (‘98, ‘99, and 2000) were prone to developing week firing pin strikes after a couple hundred rounds or less. I had an extra light from the 2000 run do this. However, that extra light and the 26” octagon solid frame I had were extremely accurate. I understand that the latter runs of Miroku rifles have no firing pin issues. I’ve handled 86’s and 71’s from pedersoli and uberti. They aren’t bad, but I doubt they any better machined or put together any better than the Mirokus, and I would be willing to bet that Mirokus are stronger and more durable. I understand that the Italian jobs are mechanicaly quite identical to original Win 86, whereas the Miroku internals are more similar to simplified Model 71’s, with a big exception being not having tapered locking lugs. Turnbull wrote in an AR post that the Miroku guns are tougher.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill73 My Miroku was obviously a lemon. I got it sight unseen in a trade. It was a short barreled Trapper model in 45-70, and about the best I could get it to do at 50 yards was some where in the neighborhood of eight inches. Cast bullets in 350, 400, 480 grains with black powder or Rel7 or IMR 3031 made no difference. Neither did 400 grain Hornadys. To add insult to injury, the extractor would tear the case mouth of the ejected case about every third shot.

My friend's Pedersoli 1886 in 45-70 will put five in an inch to inch and a quarter at 50 yards with a 400 grain or 480 grain cast bullet. It functions flawlessly, and the bluing and case colors as well as the wood to metal fit are several notches above the Miroku.

All I can say is that the Pedersoli out shot the Miroku, was better finished, and functioned perfectly. Every time. Nice rifle.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On auction a 1886 in 45-90, current bid are about $1500.

https://auctionet.com/sv/13453...-wcf-tillv-nr-117161

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote