THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    An excellent day at the range !!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An excellent day at the range !!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We enjoyed a crisp Montana autumn day at the range with some of our favorite lever guns. We shot them all, plus some not shown in the pics.

Left to right:
Marlin 93 carbine in 30-30
Win 94 Big Bore short-rifle in 375 Win
Win 94 SRC "Spruce gun" in 30 WCF
Marlin 1889 rifle in 44-40
Marlin 36 G "Glenfield" in 30-30

Left to right:
Savage 99 in 300 Savage
Win 94 Canadian Centennial,eh? in 30-30
Win 64 in 32 Win Special
Ithica Model 49 in 22 Mag single-shot

Posts: 1207 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun time! I like loading the rack at the range and spending a few hours shooting.

How does the recoil of the .300 Savage compare to the numerous .30-30's? I had a Savage 99 in .308 and foolishly let it go. Neat guns with the round counter on the action.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun day. Love that 1889 Marlin!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nice mess o levers you have there. Ooh, that Model 64 ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16295 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How does the recoil of the .300 Savage compare to the numerous .30-30's?

The recoil of the Savage is snappy compared to the 30-30's, except for the Marlin 93. It is so light and wispy that it will bruise you if not tucked into the shoulder just right. It's great to carry in the field.

Also, the Savage is running 300 FPS or so faster than the 30-30's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ooh, that Model 64 ...

I picked up the 64 two weeks ago from Rich J here on the forum classified's. It's sweet, and a shooter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats what i call a NICE RACK

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of leverage in that rack for sure! I have a pre-64 94 Winchester in 32 Special and I've shot some pretty stiff loads from it (including 200 grain bullet loaded up there) and it's a pussy cat compared to my Model 81 Remington in 300 Savage which is a much heavier rifle. That little bugger will belt you and it has a steel buttplate too!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a lot of leverage in that rack for sure!

Yeah, a lot of cleaning too! I just finished them all. I think I'll take just a couple to the range next time.

I hope to do a little report on a couple of them soon; the Model 94 Spruce Gun is interesting, and the Big Bore 375 is a gun I worked over.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NICE RACK !!! I had one of the Ithicas when I was a kid in the 50's ! Shot good ! LOOKED COOL ! But I was always disappointed that it was a single shot. The paint{?} on the receiver didn't hold up too well !

I later learned that Ithica made a repeater but never saw one.

Hip

P.S. The Savage 99 REALLY LOOKS NICE !

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Very nice collection of lever action rifles.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3066 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I like that 1889 in .44/40!!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
thats what i call a NICE RACK

Ha! I was hunting in the Selway some years ago and shot a really nice bull elk. MsAZW was with me on that hunt; we flew into Missoula and rented a car down to Hamilton MT where we flew out to Moose Creek. Anyway, I had that rack jammed in the back of the rental car and was in the UPS store to see if they could ship it while she waited in the car.

When I walked out MsAZW was all smiles. I said, "Why are you smiling?"

She said a guy walked by and exclaimed, "Nice rack lady!"

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awe come on now, the 300 Savage and the 30-30 are pretty close, I can't tell any differnce in the two..both pretty mild..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote