New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mod. 71
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a quality-difference between the original Winchester and the Browning Mod. 71?

I just bought a Browning carbine in .348 - a rifle, nearly absolutly unknown in Germany.

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
I saw never a original Winchester 71 rifle here in Germany. The Browning rifle is very rare here... Produced only for one year, 1987, as Grade I 3000 rifles and 4000 carbines, as high grade 3000/3000.
The Brownings made by Miroku are excellent, made with modern steel and very close to the original. The three rifles, I have ever in my hands, worked very good, very smooth action. How many did you pay for the 71? Sometimes, I´m looking for such a rifle. I don´t need it, I´m only target shooter, but I´m a fan about the Browning rifles. I have one 1886 and three 1885´rifles. The FN-made Trombone.
The Duke habe one for the price of 1650Euro, a new one...
I like the .348WCF too. Befor a few years, I loaded some rounds with a friends for his carbine. He don´t sell it to me. Not yet... Big Grin

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle was very, very cheap!

I am quite sure, we know us from "Wild & Hund-Forum"?

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Yes, could be.

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes the Browning/Miroku rifles are excellent like my 1885 in 45-70! Some lockwork may be different . No deer have complained when taken by my 45-70 ! dancing

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Raw materials on the Browning would be better, workmanship good on both and the only thing better about an original would be the resale value would be higher. I'd buy a Browning any day.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive owned a number of Win mod 71s and Brownings, The Brownings have proven to be more accurate by a good deal, and well made, so I would suggest they are the better hunting/shooter rifle, and the one I presently hunt with.

The Win is more collectable by a long shot, and a better monitary investment.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you tell me, what speed I really can expect from the 200grs Hornady FTX with safe pressure in the 20" carbine?

one of us
posted Hide Post
With good hanloads you can get 2600 FPS in the Browning with a 24 inch barrel, probably in a 20 inch also..Those would be max but safe loads in my rifle and seems to be the norm from conversation with other Browning and win 71 shooters...but my hunting load is 2520 FPS with the 200 gr. and almost 2400 with 250 gr. My best hunting load is the 180 gr. GS Customs HV HP monolithic bullet out of RSA..I get 2700 FPS with it and its an absolute killer on big hogs, deer and will probably shoot an elk with it this year..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reply - I try to get some GS bullets... In my area, only lead-less bullets are allowed for hunting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Model 71 is a fine piece of machinery in either Win or Browning guise. My own is a Winchester and is an honest to goodness 2MOA shooter with the right loads.

While you can load it up a bit it's hard to gauge pressure signs in a lever and 2500fps is a good place with 200 grain bullets in a carbine.

The Flex-tips surprised me in the 348 version. The shank is pretty long and the interlock well back so they hold together much better than I thought they would while still expanding out to 300 yards. Pretty good all-round bullet.

The 200 Swift is extremely reliable though not as accurate in my rifle. Love to try the GS but they are hard to get here. I think I will stick with 200 grain bullets and match their construction to the game. The 250 and 200 grain loads shoot to a different point of impact and I hate re-sighting. 200 Hornady's for up to moose and switching to Swifts when Bison is on the menu. Swifts also for bear defense. Done!

Posts: 111 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 13 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GS customs has a USA distributor now, Its Gerards daughter and son in law..the operate out of Edwardsburg MI..tel is 269-861-2553..
www.gscustomusa.com Gina@gscustomsusa.com

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120