THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Does anyone think there is any chance...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone think there is any chance...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Marlin will chamber a lever action rifle in preferably .460s&w or .500s&w?

I ask because my home state now allows you to deer hunt with a rifle chambered in strate walled cartrages with a length of the two calibers above.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 460 and 500 operate at too high a pressure for the 336/444/1895 action. IIRC Marlin tried to make a 475 Linebaugh but it didn't work out. A fella could always get an 1894 in 44 magnum or 45 Colt. The Legacy Puma comes in 454 and 480 if you need a little more juice http://www.legacysports.com/products/puma/index.html

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
From what I have heard the Puma has fit and finish problems and does not last too long with the 454.
The marlin would be a grenade in 500SW or 460SW. If you want that power level-- get a 50 alaskan made up and load down!

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for their info, I wont waist any of my valueble day dreaming time thinking about hunting with a 336 in .460s&w.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure about the Marlin's. With the new laws they might look at one in the 1895 model.

As far as the Puma is concerned. Go to the "Leverguns" forum and look for a guy named Nate Kiowa Jones. He is a custom smith that slicks up the Puma's. He does a great job for actually a cheap price. I highly recommend him, and the guy's over there will also give you some great reviews of his work. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARTJR338WM:
Thanks to all for their info, I wont waste any of my valuable dreamtime thinking about hunting with a 336 in .460s&w.
No great loss, the 45/70 (or even the 450 Marlin) will do everything the 460 S&W will...and then some.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
There are negligible pressure differences between a .480 and a .475 Linebaugh, so perhaps the Puma could be converted.......perhaps??

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
I agree, just take the 45-70 hunting and enjoy.

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
buckeyeshooter
Have had my Puma 454 for 5 years now and it plenty tight- just as it was when I bought it! Many hot loads throught it as well. Sure if you want a real pretty gun-its not but it does shoot and will work for a very long time! Smiler I call it a poor mans 45-70! But I got more rounds then them 45-70 guys could ever have 10 vs. 4 or 5!!

One shot One Kill

Posts: 64 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 08 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
glad to hear your gun is holding up!

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote