New
Find
Notify
Tools

best new 30-30
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been out of the lever gun area for while, what is your pick for the best 30-30 under $1,000

thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve always had good service from my JM Marlin Texan version 30-30. I happen to like it’s styling and side ejection.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 939 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Forget any new rifle; for that money you can get a very nice pre 64 Win 94, or if you have to have a scope, a Marlin as Grinch said. Can't go wrong.
Now, also you might get a Winchester 54 bolt action in 30-30. I had one, works well and quite rare.
New 30-30? Yuck. Get an old one.

Posts: 17084 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$1000 for a new lever gun ? There are only three still made that I know of Winchester,Mossberg 464 and Marlin the Marlin 336 is the slicker action and easy to scope or peep/tang.
Davidson has some of a special run Mossberg Brush Gun 30-30 in grey laminate left as of this typing nice little brush gun 16.5" barrel $479 to your dealer

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Henry also makes a 30-30 which I believe is well under your $1,000 limit.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Find you a 1960's-70's Marlin 336.

Posts: 3663 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Forget any new rifle; for that money you can get a very nice pre 64 Win 94, or if you have to have a scope, a Marlin as Grinch said. Can't go wrong.
Now, also you might get a Winchester 54 bolt action in 30-30. I had one, works well and quite rare.

This is the correct answer! Also, if you buy a pre64 or JM marlin, you can recoup your money at resale. Probably will not with a new purchase.

Posts: 5695 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Marlin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2788 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with those that suggested vintage Marlins. You can still find them in good shape in the $300 to $400 range. New ones I've seen don't seem well made.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Sense

Hog Farmer... see above.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, my favorite 30-30 is a Glennfield made by marlin. Have magazine and is just right for me. I do have a model 94 angle eject, but the Glennfield seems to fit me better. Next year I might go for the 94 AE. I am fickle (lol).

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I've seen a couple people who have new Marlin 336's and while they aren't finished as nice as my 1975 vintage 336 they functioned and shot fine. They seem to have gone through a few bad years but are much improved now.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2788 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
If you are set on a "Brand new" .30-30...I'd look into the side gate Henry as well as the Curly Maple stock Marlin 336. Both are beautiful firearms. I think the Curly Maple Marlin is around $700 and the Henry is about $800

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the new Marlins in 35 Rem. I ordered it, and the checkering was all screwed up. They sent me a post-paid label and fixed it quickly and at all their expense. And it's the most accurate lever action I've shot. I think you'll be okay with a new Marlin, and the old ones are pretty uniformly great as stated.

The Henry's are the same design as the Marlins, I believe, so they ought to be good guns also.

New Winchesters cost a lot, but I've read good things. Old Winchesters are nice to carry, though in general not as accurate as Marlins.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with an old Marlin or one of the new stainless steel Marlins. If you intend to use iron sights altogether, then get a pre 64 win. 94 or 64,, Best "new" is an oxymoron...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41798 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you get an older Marlin Ballard rifled one in case you want to shoot cast bullets at some point.

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 15 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 16 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rmb721:
I would suggest you get an older Marlin Ballard rifled one in case you want to shoot cast bullets at some point.

Cast bullets shoot just fine in a Marlin microgroove barrel. You just need to size them right.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
posted Hide Post
new is any of the above but a savage 99 can be found and it is much better than any of the above. just my take on it, love mine

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marlin 336 is a fine rifle. I had one but sold it when I needed some cash a while back. I just bought a new Henry 30-30 with the side loading gate and love this one. Either or, can't go wrong IMO.

1 Alaskan FOR Global Warming

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

This is the correct answer! Also, if you buy a pre64 or JM marlin, you can recoup your money at resale. Probably will not with a new purchase.

I definitely agree!! as a late friend of mine used to say Old is Gold!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like both marlins and Winchesters. With some degree of luck, one might be able to find my favorite 30-30, the Model 64, for under $1,000. Oil field workers are selling lots of nice guns for cheap right now, and demand is currently focused on self defense and the prepper crowd. As DPCD said, the Win model 54 is cool. My pic of the marlins is the 336A with the 3/4 length mag tube, but I would whittle the forend down a bit. Just my take.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3283 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a win mod 64 in as new condition in a local Twin Falls pawn shop just before they closed for the Coronavirus crisis for $950.?? I'll check when they open in a week or two I think..A 94 carbine in good shape can be had for $400 to $600. at our gun shows..Win. 54 in 30-30 bring $1000 to $2500 and up depending on shape..Prices do vary according to the geographical loacations however..OLder Winchesters just keep increasing in price, no stopping them..My two SRC 94 in 25-35 I paid $150 for fetch in the neighborhood of $2200 to $3000 depending on condition..beats the stock market.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41798 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My current favorite is a Mossberg 464. It has a "stainless" finish, 16.25 inch barrel, and laminated stock. Special run by Davidsons. Paid $400 for mine NIB. You can still find them for sale if you are patience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYNU9J8M98U

I still own a new model Win 94 as well as a take down model but its the Mossberg that goes hunting deer with me.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote