THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Winchester 88 .308 and .358 Muzzle Diameters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 88 .308 and .358 Muzzle Diameters
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am contemplating picking up a non-collector Winchester 88 to turn into a .358 Winchester. If the muzzle diameter of the .308 and .358 are the same, I would just have the barrel rebored. If someone has a Model 88 in .358 and/or in .308 and they can post the muzzle diameter(s), I would appreciate it.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This doesn't answer your question, but never the less this is an informative and interesting site on those 88 and 100 Winchesters. May answer some of your question as to what you may run into converting one to 358 Win. There WERE differences.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Supposedly, if the rifle was made after the introduction of the .358 Winchester, the main mechanical difference is the magazine. I don't know about the barrel diameter, which is why I am asking. I have found information on converting the .308 magazines to shoot the .358.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
Supposedly, if the rifle was made after the introduction of the .358 Winchester, the main mechanical difference is the magazine. I don't know about the barrel diameter, which is why I am asking. I have found information on converting the .308 magazines to shoot the .358.

There was also a difference on the inside of receiver for the 358 Win
Look at that website

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
What is the sddress for the website you referred to? According to what i found, after the introduction of the .358, all Model 88 receivers had the internal feed ramps changed so all used the changed receiver.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a custom Win model 100 in 358 Win with a factory Win 100 308 Mag and it functioned fine. They never cataloged the Win 100 in 358 Win story I was told that it originally had a factory 358 Win barrel??? What I am getting at is it functioned fine with 308 Mags.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
What is the sddress for the website you referred to? According to what i found, after the introduction of the .358, all Model 88 receivers had the internal feed ramps changed so all used the changed receiver.

Sir, me bad, sorry, here it is:

https://www.leeroysramblings.c...del_88_100_info.html

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That is the website that I also consult. Based on what he has listed, if I start with a 1957 or newer rifle, the receiver should already be setup for the .358 and I just need to work on the magazines.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pulled out my pre-64 Win 88 in 358 and the muzzle diameter of the barrel measures.555" which is the same as the other M88s I have. And yes, they are thin and heat up quickly.
I picked up another pre-64 M88 308 years ago to have rebored and chambered to 358, then the factory 358 appeared. I might have it rebored to 338 and make it into a 338 Federal.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Model88 was a piss poor rifle and even worse boat anchor.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once had (HAD) a Model 100 in 243. I wasn't impressed with and sold it. One thing I dislike was there was not bolt hold open on the last shot except for the magazine follower serving that purpose...which is not good for it!!