Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement sights on 94
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted
I'm thinking about replacing the buckhorn rear on my 94 saddle ring carbine. Any suggestions?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Lyman 66.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It's a truck gun I bought for swine. I'm thinking the Truglo replacements. Any experience out there with these?

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DCS what caliber is your truck gun? I have Winch. Trapper 16 1/2" brl in 44 mag. She is sweet. I call her Betty, lol.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the dot sights. The peep sights like the Lyman 66 work great. For us old geezers they have the added benefit of making our eyes focus. I use peep sights on some of my air rifles and do about as good with them as I do my scoped rifles.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It's a .30-30 I got from JudgeG here.

I'm just not accustomed to the buckhorn style of the Lyman 66 style. I'm leaning towards the Truglo set up because it's similar to pistol sights I'm comfortable with.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I put a fiber optic ghost ring on my 94, it's in this thread and I am quite happy:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...061095991#5061095991

Well, almost quite happy. At some point I'd like to put a tritium insert in the front sight but I don't really have much need for it like that but it would make it a bit faster in low light that way.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
I put a fiber optic ghost ring on my 94, it's in this thread and I am quite happy:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...061095991#5061095991

Well, almost quite happy. At some point I'd like to put a tritium insert in the front sight but I don't really have much need for it like that but it would make it a bit faster in low light that way.

Mark, that's cool. I went ahead and ordered the Truglo. They were only like $25. If I don't like them, I'll try something else.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...el-fiber-optic-green

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just stuck a Lyman flip up tang sight (peep) on my old SRC 25-35, and shrunk the 3 shot group a full inch..I thought my eyes were better than that..Got the sight from Brownells. Guess I better order another for my 30-30

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
I have no experience with the dot sights. The peep sights like the Lyman 66 work great. For us old geezers they have the added benefit of making our eyes focus. I use peep sights on some of my air rifles and do about as good with them as I do my scoped rifles.

This is your answer. The Lyman or Williams peep sights. Stick a true glow front sight on as well, works even better.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a Williams peep on mine,nice unit,screwed right on. Not sure what I'm going to do up front though, thats a problem for older eyes, tying to to see that little dot at dusk.
Thinking maybe a gold bead, or I wonder if a glow fiber site would work.

Posts: 31 | Location: west coast of michigan | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I've got a Lyman 66 on my 375 Win and like it - with a couple of reservations.

First, the disc is no good for hunting and to throw it away leaves a ghost ring a little too big for much accuracy. So, I sawed off half of the disc shank, cut a slot in the cut side of the smaller part, added a bit of epoxy and screwed it in from the front, to make an intermediate aperture.

Secondly, my son fell over and bent the arm down. If I were installing a new one, I would get the arm drilled and tapped on the outer side and add a second set screw to protect it once zeroed.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
One of these can be used without altering your gun. http://www.skinnersights.com/barrel_mount_6.html

I have the above sight on my Browning SRC.

I have a fiber optic front on my 94 trapper. To me, the peep rear makes for faster sight acquisition.

Posts: 309 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You CANNOT install a side mounted peep sight such as a Lyman or Redfield on a Saddle Ring Carbine unless you remove the saddle ring and the stud, that's a sho nuff no-no IMO!

You can install a tang mounted peep sight and those sights are available from Brownells and they work great.

Also, a vintage Win mod. 94 SRC may be a truck gun indeed but its still worth a lot of money unless its been monkied with. Mine is truly a worn SRC in 25-35 and the bore is rough, but it shoots very accurately. I have been offered $1300 for it on more than a few occasions, and the offers keep going up, but its not for sale..I sure wouldn't drill and tap it.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
I started to disagree with you, but then I remembered the William sight on my trapper was mounted to the AE scope mount holes and not the side. Even so, I had to rotate the ring out of the way.

Tang sights are the most accurate (IMHO) but I don't like them in my way. I still have two rifles with tang sights I haven't gotten around to replacing, yet.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vlwtx348:
One of these can be used without altering your gun. http://www.skinnersights.com/barrel_mount_6.html

I'm afraid I don't see much point in having the aperture so far away. It kind of defeats the whole idea of a rear peep so close you don't even think of focusing on it.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on Sambarman's comment. Aperture sights are fast only if they're close to your shooting eye. Further, impressive accuracy may be obtained by using smaller apertures (if available light and the target allows). Not so with apertures mounted 8"-12" away from your eye.

Dave Manson

Posts: 686 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
quote:
Originally posted by vlwtx348:

I'm afraid I don't see much point in having the aperture so far away. It kind of defeats the whole idea of a rear peep so close you don't even think of focusing on it.

It's much faster than most poor rear sights. You don't have to look at the rear sight at all, let alone focus on it. You look through it like you would any peep or ghost ring.
Yes, I generally like them mounted farther back, like my William or Lyman sights or my Providence Tool Company's Pattern 21 sight. And while it's not as inherently accurate, I prefer the Skinner barrel mount over a traditional tang sight for multiple reasons.
Opinions vary and everyone has different tastes. I'm glad there are so many options out there for us to choose from. Of the four different types of sights I mentioned, I have at least one levergun with such a sight installed and hunt with them all.

My only gripe with Skinner sights is the font he uses to engrave his brand on the sights. A simple rollmark would look so much better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stuck a Bushnell TRS-25 on my M94 Trapper and really like it. My eyes are such that irons just don't cut it, in low light especially. The TRS-25 is very lightweight and though it does stick up a bit it is still very low as optics go. Just an option.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We're talking two different ball games here. A modern trapper is of little value technically speaking, but a 1900s Saddle Ring Carbine, even in very poor condition fetches at least a grand, and a real nice one up to $4500 or twice that for a few that have been cared for and like new..So the collectable must not be changed at all, and only a tang mounted peep will do that, and be sure to put the old barrel sight and tang screws in a bag so if you decide to sell it, it will be original..

The modern SRC, you can do whatever you want with them, but they only made a few so changing them might be a poor financial decision??

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
We're talking two different ball games here. A modern trapper is of little value technically speaking, but a 1900s Saddle Ring Carbine, even in very poor condition fetches at least a grand, and a real nice one up to $4500 or twice that for a few that have been cared for and like new..So the collectable must not be changed at all, and only a tang mounted peep will do that, and be sure to put the old barrel sight and tang screws in a bag so if you decide to sell it, it will be original..

The modern SRC, you can do whatever you want with them, but they only made a few so changing them might be a poor financial decision??

Ray,

I went with the Tru-glo set up and it's a better sight picture. I did save the original buckhorn sights. It is a modern rig. I'm still needing to dial it in at the range, but I feel more confident out to 100 with these sights.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
No doubt the peep or receiver sight or ghost peep whatever you want to call it is almost as good as a scope and better in some conditions..certain better than barrel mounted sights..That said I have done some pretty fancy shooting with original barrel mounted sights.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I've been meaning to post regarding the Tru-Glo sights. I love the sight picture, but it shoots about 6' high at 100 at the lowest setting. Hmm...

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Here is Brownells sight correction calculator:

http://www.brownells.com/GunTe...detail.htm?lid=13093

Take a couple shots at 25 yards, measure how much too high it is, punch the numbers in and it will tell you how much higher the front sight needs to be.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
With irons the range should be 12 yards, with a scope its 25..IN a mod. 94 or Marlin lever gun the 12 yard target will technically put you 3 inches high at 100 and dead on at 150 and 5 inches low at 200..It generally works out, but you always need to test it as I'm sure barrel harmonics can make subtle changes..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently mounted a Providence peep sight, its a LYman mod. 21 Knock off of yesteryear is being produced by produced by them and marketed by Buffalo Arms...I stuck in on my Browning 348 and its a dandy, had to drill and tap two holes however..

I have an old pre war 30-30 that shoots extra great so I am going to mount a Providence on it also as its been D&T for a scope and already has 4 holes in its off side, soooo, it will forever be a great shooter, nothing more..I can live with that. this sight sells for $138.00 and is the best of all for shooter lever guns IMO..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120