New
Find
Notify
Tools

405 winchester
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone ever made 405 braass from 30-40 krag brass ?I heard its short but works.i cant find any brass for my 405 win thanks to hornady who hardly mades it!!!

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have made it from 30-40 and I have chanmbered rifles for that short case too. Just seat your bullets way out. In the 95, cartridge length doesn't matter. Read Ken Waters Pet Loads and you will get a lot of info on doing it.
Also try 9.3x74r brass; that is fairly common now. Has a thinner rim but it works; you can bend the rims a bit if you want to have perfect headspace but at these pressures; it is ok.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a nice batch of .405 WCF
Repoading stuff ( new and used Hornady brass,multiple brands of bullets, and some loaded ammo over on 24hour campfire.
You might try a "wanted" post there and on Leverguns.com and see what pops up. There are .405 shooters on both thise forums and likely on some other forums.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
or, just call Hornady and see if they have any in stock...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Arms has Bertram in stock. I use it, works fine.

Posts: 28 | Location: DFW | Registered: 03 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm no fan of Bertram .405, so thin that when resized it'll accept a .420 bullet, no quality control!!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 55 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 31 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What make of reloading die do you have; I have some Bertram 405s and they work perfectly; it would be hard to fit a .420 bullet in any case that had been sized at all no matter how thin it is. Maybe your expander is too big. If you can get Bertram, use it. Might not be the best but it does work fine in my dies and rifles.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He Might be using basic brass. They make a 405 Win headstamp case and it works fine

Posts: 28 | Location: DFW | Registered: 03 December 2013Reply With Quote