THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    First Ruger Marlin: Model 1895 FBL in .45-70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Ruger Marlin: Model 1895 FBL in .45-70
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Sounds like these will start trickling into the market around Christmas, according to Ruger's CEO. Then the 336, then the Model 1894. They'll be staying with the forged receiver, but will use Ruger's cold hammer-forged barrels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_AHFat3yqE

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I hope they turn out to be well made and they sell a bunch of them. Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
So do I, Roger. Looking forward to handling some of these new Marlins.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be nice if they did away with the cross bolt safety.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I reckon that X bolt safety is is lawyer induced abomination, here to stay.

It is absolutely critical for Ruger to get them right, bu missing the whole season precludes a lot of sales . . .

Maybe it drums up even more desires for the following season.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

there is a delete kit that has a plug that looks like a screw, takes less than 10 minutes to install and costs about $15 to 20.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

there is a delete kit that has a plug that looks like a screw, takes less than 10 minutes to install and costs about $15 to 20.

If I remember there is a set screw that blockes the crossbolt, and it's no big deal to file the slot in it wider so it can not block the hammer.
But I like the idea of the plug
Who carries them ?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Last I looked Beartooth Mercantile, Turnbull and Rangerpoint carried the CBS delete kit.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a flush plug on a stainless 1895 50 AK. It looks like just another pin but its been 18-19 years so I don't remember where I got it. I put it in after fish cop confessed he'd emptied his 45-70 at a caribou with the CBS safety on. CLICK every time, then he realized what happened and the caribou ran as he picked up his ammo. We ribbed him of course but appreciated him sharing his mistake. Especially for a cabin/camp gun that might be grabbed in haste or when something growls in the night, the fewer things that can go wrong the better and I'm more comfortable with an empty chamber and needing to work the lever than an extra safety to disengage if adrenaline is a factor.

I've wanted an 1894 in 357 for a while now, and have always appreciated my Rugers' durability. I really really hope these come out well!

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't wait...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Just saw over on Paco's Leverguns that John Taffin now has one of these to play with, and it seems to shoot extremely well.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Yes, the information is popping up all over.
Though I have never owned a Marlin, a great many hunters do and I wish them the best.
Now to get back to my Winnies.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
With an MSRP of $1399, it will be a long time before I own one. I don't care for this particular configuration, and hope they will soon include the original 1895 Classic in blued steel and walnut.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/model_1895sbl/

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a JM Marlin with a cross bolt safety and it is safer and better with the thing. I can also dry fire the rifle, with the cross bolt safety on, without worrying about breaking the firing pin. Which happened on my non cross bolt safety M1894.

Why anyone wants a mechanism with a only a half cock safety is beyond me. You cannot positively verify that the half cock is engaged without rocking the hammer. Which may, slip lose. And, many accidental discharges have happened when owners have thumbed the hammer back, only to loose control. And, not everyone knows there is a half cock safety, and some of those have carried their lever actions around with a round in the chamber, and hammer down. To discharge the weapon then, all that is needed is a light tap on the hammer spur.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No matter what anyone says------BRAINS ARE THE BEST SAFETY, AND LACK OF THEM, NO MECANICAL DEVICE WILL MAKE ANYTHING SAFE!

Hip

Posts: 1818 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote