THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Winchester Model 88 pre64 284 winchester
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 88 pre64 284 winchester
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a friend who wants to trade me his pre64 model 88 winchester in 284 win .How much is it worth in 95% ?I saw two articles on it in Rifle Mag and another mag .Its the rarest of the model 88 winchesters only 2935 were made in pre64 284 win.

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I would say prolly at least 8 bills maybe more. I have a 308 I have been playing with. It needs a trigger job so bad that it precludes any tight groups. mine seems to fit me extreamly well though and just feels perfect when bringing it up for a fast shot. must be the drop comb stock, it makes recoil worse however

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only seen one of these pre 64 model 88s in 284 on Gunsamerica it was $1500.I am going to get to shoot it pretty soon .It feels really smooth to work the action.

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The few I have seen locally at gunshows are priced at $600 to $800 depending on condition...The 99s in that caliber are priced at $900 to $1200...

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I think 1500 is wishfull thinking, I see a lot of ads on the internet that are way way over priced makes me wonder why people even bother to waste the time and money to run the ad. Why run an ad that has the same thing for sale next to it for way less money, I guess I am ranting. I think the gun in question would be very kewl but I would not give or trade more than $800 for it

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Curiously enough the later 88s are better than the pre-64s, there were some mechanical improvements in the action, I don't recall what they are. My understanding is that when they began to use impressed checkering they also improved them mechanically. There has been some discussion of this subject, maybe here, maybe on 24hourcampfire.com, in the last year or so.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Villignusis right ! the post 64 rifles are much better, I've had several of both to compare. I refused a pre 64 for 300.00, just look at the extractors and clip. As a hunting rifle you want a post 64.
Anyone care to trade an 88 for a browning a-bolt medallion ?

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard from others, as well, that the post-64's were actually improved, but I'd still take a pre-64 88 hands-down. The post-64's are smoother operating, there is no doubt, but the pre-64's were more carefully machined to tighter tolerances and the stocks had real honest-to-God checkering instead of that impressed, basket-woven abomination. My pre-64 (a '57, to be exact) has fed, fired, and ejected consistently and accurately for 47 years now, and I haven't had to spend that time looking at the industrial vandalism they called "checkering" on the later models.

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
An older relative of mine has a Model 88 in .284 , he would probably sell it with the proper lubrication as only Wisers can supply. He is in the southern Interior of BC.

Posts: 2 | Location: the west | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw two Winchester 88's in .284 Winchester at the gun show in Austin Texas. Didn't ask the prices because it was very crowded and all the vendors were busy. The show is still on today.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If one happens to take a peek at auction arms or gunbroker, one can see that a common M-88 in 308 that is in close to factory condition will fetch close to $800, a 243 another $100 or so, and a 358 Win in any condition over $2000. The pre-64 284 is a rare gun, but the demand isn't as great as that of a 358, so the sale prices are generally lower than than of a 358, but more than a 243.

If the rifle is unaltered and in good mechanical shape, post the rifle for sale over at www.leverguncommunity.com for $1200 and watch the boys go after it like starving dogs to fresh meat.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
I have a friend who wants to trade me his pre64 model 88 winchester in 284 win .How much is it worth in 95% ?I saw two articles on it in Rifle Mag and another mag .Its the rarest of the model 88 winchesters only 2935 were made in pre64 284 win.

$1500 to$1800

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
All - Thanks for the info.

Posts: 2 | Location: the west | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote